SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I need some help identifying what engine code my car has. It’s a S40 T5 2005 FWD.

I’m looking to do some service on my S40. I start picking out pieces like filters and other stuff and put them in the basket. The last thing was the engine oil, simply enough I thought. It wasn’t.

I went to check the owners manual to see what type of oil I should use. And in it there is a picture showing a decal in the engine bay that should have all the info. I pop the hood and look at the exact location it displays on the picture but can’t find it. I look through every single crevice in the engine bay to find it but I can’t. Oh boy…

After reading through the manual again and as I start to get to the latter pages I see something. A chart that shows each oil type for every engine. I was jumping with excitement.

I look to find the T5 and there it is. T5B5254 T3: ACEA A1/B1 SAE 0W-30

I was so happy. To double check I went to a website often used here in Sweden to see thecnical specifications of cars. And when I look at the engine code there it tells me that it’s: T5B5254 T7 and that i should use 5W-30.

Okay. Maybe the manual on the Volvo website has that engine code and what type of oil to use with it.

So I went to check the manual on the Volvo website and it made me even more confused. It didn’t have theT5B5254 T7. But instead it had theT5B5254 T3 where it said that 5W-30 should be used, which is different from my owners manual.

I put my registration number in to different websites where 80% say that it’s anT5B5254 T3 and the others say that it is aT5B5254 T7.

Now I’m asking for yours guys help that maybe isn’t as confused as me when it comes to this.

What engine code do I really have? And what oil type should I use?

Thanks in advance!

Robin

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,785 Posts
T7 engines were launched on 2008 and newer models. Unless somebody swapped the engine, you should have a B5254T3.

What oil to use? Don’t get confused by all those specifications. As long you use oil from major brands (Castrol, Liqui Moly, Mobil 1, Motul, Pennzoil, etc) you should be fine.

The viscosity (0W-30 / 5W-30, etc) is depending the climate of where you are. check the owners manual and you’ll see which oil fits better for the temperature ranges in your area.

For example, I use 5W-40 on my car. Here, average temperatures can go from 2 degrees in winter to 38 celsius in summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T7 engines were launched on 2008 and newer models. Unless somebody swapped the engine, you should have a B5254T3.

What oil to use? Don’t get confused by all those specifications. As long you use oil from major brands (Castrol, Liqui Moly, Mobil 1, Motul, Pennzoil, etc) you should be fine.

The viscosity (0W-30 / 5W-30, etc) is depending the climate of where you are. check the owners manual and you’ll see which oil fits better for the temperature ranges in your area.

For example, I use 5W-40 on my car. Here, average temperatures can go from 2 degrees in winter to 38 celsius in summer.
In my owners manual it says to use 0w30 for the B5254T3 i guess that is what i will be going for. Im also planning on changing the gearbox oil since it feels very clunky and its something hard to press in the gears.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Prescription is 5w30 or 0w30 A5/B5 (A1/B1).
Otherwise you can put in 5w40/0w40 A3/B4 or C3. These are equivalent to A5/B5 but without LL and fuel saving qualities.

The best is to use the same oil as now used.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Otherwise you can put in 5w40/0w40 A3/B4 or C3. These are equivalent to A5/B5 but without LL and fuel saving qualities.

So which one of all of these would you recommend? Keeping in my sweden can get pretty cold in the winter

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Because at this point idk wether i should go for 30 or 40

·
Registered
1 Posts
Liqui Moly Special Tec V 0W30
It's got -> Volvo VCC 95200377

n I dump mine at 3k miles but it's not stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts