SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new dice unit today because the old one wasn't working and this one does. I somehow only pulled 2 codes with it, i thought i would have tons of problems :biggrinsanta:

My boost leak went away for a while but came back today. I have a new TCV and vac lines on the way anyway (for whoever was mad at me for getting the ipd one, i changed my mind at the last minute and got the OEM one :p). I got the codes I pulled from my autotech tool, ecm 212c and 21ec, long term fuel bank trim 1 too low.

I ruled out the fuel pump since fuel pressure is 300 kPa at idle which is the correct one if i understand. However, my values for the bank 1 are shot. Trim 2 reads 99.22% for short and long term, and trim 1 reads 3.91% short term and 20.31% long term. What makes those values SO much lower than the other trim??? Air leak, bad sensor, bad MAF are the likely culprits based on what I've read but I've never seen anyone actually post the values they got so I can't really make a comparison to their actual issue.

On a side note, vida is f***ing cool. Any ideas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

also here are the values i got from the reading if anyone can recognize anything with that. i sure as hell can't lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
What were the two codes in VIDA?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ecm 212c and ecm 21ec, both are long term fuel trim bank 1 - signal too high

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I ruled out the fuel pump since fuel pressure is 300 kPa at idle which is the correct one if i understand.
Not a solution or an answer, but that is not a solid conclusion. Idle means next to nothing. What matters is during load and especially when the boost comes on. I had a bad pump and you could tell only when the boost was coming on and the fuel was not there. We found it out the old way using a fuel pressure gauge hanged by the window during runs on the street. AFAIK there are no sensors or direct errors that tell the pump has an issue in these cars.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i'm pretty sure i can drive with vida connected and see if it changes when i'm driving. from what i've read on volvospeed and matthew's volvo site (couldn't really find any threads on here), 300 kPa at idle means it's okay. but i guess they could be wrong. what would the value have to be/change to while driving to indicate it's okay?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
No idea, but you should watch it/graph it and there should not be any decrease in pressure when the load increases.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It sounds like a giant air leak in some ways.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah there's a leak somewhere i'm sure, new vac lines and tcv are on the way. i gotta make that pressure tester that's on here but i have finals in like 2 weeks and tests out the ass so i don't have time to be screwing around with the car at the moment lol

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Good way of checking fuel pump and control health is to graph the pump duty cycle through a full range of operation. At idle it should be somewhere between 30-40%, and should not go much above 80% at wide open throttle at high RPMs.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I think the bank 2 number is misleading since the 5 cylinder has only one bank. Your long term fuel trim does look high and short term is a little high as well. I have seen those faults caused by a catless downpipe, leaking exhaust, plugged oil trap, vacuum leak, bad mass airflow. Assuming no exhaust leaks or catless DP, checking crankcase pressure is easy. Small vacuum leak could be why short term is a little high but long term being that high could lean towards a bad mass airflow if there is no other leaks in intake or exhaust. BTW, I think correct fuel pressure is 400kpa at idle. I can't remember if VIDA freeze frame data includes atmospheric pressure in the fuel pressure reading or is minus atmospheric pressure. I remember somewhere that the readings are supposed to be 400kpa but that was post process data and not pre processed. Flow is also very important so like Stealthy said, you may want to graph the duty cycle and pressure readings

If you had say a good size intake leak, the stft would be positive (adding fuel due to the air leak) and the ltft would be negative (taking fuel away due to air escaping while boosting) In most cases stft if more of an idle state and the ltft is more of the under load state.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have the catback elevate exhuast, oil was recently changed at dealer with new filter and no problem with that. an exhuast leak would make it louder right? if so, mine hasn't gotten louder than i can notice. i read for some volvos its 400 kpa, but for Rs its 300. not sure why or if its correct. when i get home at 2 i'm gonna spray the MAF and see if that helps.

i have vida 2014d so i'm not sure how different it is among various versions, but how would i set it up so that I have a live feed of readings from the car? that way i can record and analyze the duty cycle and pressure.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i pulled the MAF and gave it a thorough cleaning. a LOT of black dust and crap came off. took it for a quick 20 minute drive and it has a lot more power and boost stays up a little past 10. hopefully that fixes that :D

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
because i'm in college. lol

i do snow work and stuff in the winter however, so this spring i'm doing a pretty big overhaul.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
however that alternative does look interesting. i'll look into it. thanks man

1 - 16 of 16 Posts