SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a write up on how to remove them. I got the shock out but I am stuck on the spring. Any ideas?<br>Thanks Jacob

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Need help with shocks and springs (T598C70)

Hi Jacob,<p>I'm about to leave the house right now but if there no response when I get back in a couple hours I can write something up. If you'd like pm me your phone number and I can walk you through it.<p>Matt

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Need help with shocks and springs (saffron98)

Hi Jacob,<p>Assuming you are talking about the rear you will need to do the following:<p>Jack up the rear with the tires completely off the ground.<br>Remove the lower nut on the rear shocks and knock the shock off the stud(sounds like you have already done this).<br>At this point the spring shouldn't have too much tension on it.<br>There is a bolt going through a mounting bracket in the center of the spring at the bottom. <br>Remove the bolt<br>Using a breaker bar/long screwdriver/ratchet slide the piece inside the spring and pry out towards you. This will compress the spring just enough to slide out. <p>I realize that isn't the best write up so let me know if you need any pictures/explanation.<p>My offer still stands as well if you'd like me to guide you through it on the phone.<p>regards,<p>Matt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Need help with shocks and springs (saffron98)

thank you so much matt. I followed the directions and got it done. That was alot of work but once i got the first side done the second side was a breeze. I am going to tackle the fronts another day. how much different are the fronts then the rears? Thanks Jacob

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Need help with shocks and springs (T598C70)

Evening Jacob,<p>Good to hear. I'm about the head to bed right now but I will try to get ahold of you tomorrow. I believe I have a link saved somewhere concerning the front suspension. I will say that it is a little more involved than the rears. <p>regards,<p>Matt

·
Registered
137 Posts
Check out this write up. I've been searching for info as well, I'm waiting on my Eibach springs and Koni FSD's to arrive so I can put them in.<p><A HREF="http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut" TARGET="_blank">http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut</A>/<p>I believe this is for an 850, but should be similar. And yes, it is MUCH more difficult than the rears from what I've heard.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
These cars are the easisest front struts I've ever done. It can be done in an hour per side if you're just changing the strut completely. I haven't done one where you have to cut the strut for an insert yet.<p>Do NOT take off the top shock nuts (the big ones in the center) without the spring compressed. It can shoot off and kill you. You do loosen them while the strut is in the car, it makes it a lot easier, but don't take them off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: (LloydDobler)

Definitely agree with Lloyd above.<p>Ideally if your factory components have a fair amount of mileage on them this would be the perfect time for new strut mounts/spring seats. That way you could assemble everything off the car and just swap it over. <p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts