SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the factory speakers on my 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T and after removing the door panel on the rear drivers side I encountered strange screws holding in the factory speaker mounting bracket. They look completely stripped in that they are circular on the inside, but it looks like they have a small square protruding in the middle, sort of like a “Key Rex” screw (The World's Most Secure Fastener | Not in Stores | Key-Rex)
I tried using screw extractors to get a hold of and spin the screws however this didn’t work they just kept spinning with no sign of held by traditional screw threads.

I do not know how to remove the factory speakers short of cutting the factory brackets which I’d like to avoid doing as I’m not experienced in bracket fabrication. If anyone knows how to get these screws out information would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That makes much more sense, I’ve never encountered rivets in anything I’ve worked on (shows how long I’ve been working on things)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Drill, baby, drill!

5mm hex head bolts work for replacing them. Best to use nylon lock nuts, too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
And when they heat up they can melt the plastic on the bracket making the holes larger or splitting/cracking the tab. I would hold them with pliers, drill just enough the deform the rivet, then cut the heads off with a good pair of medium dikes. The other part will fall into the door cavity, just sweep up with a small shop vac.

edit: I've also been known to use a cutoff wheel on a dremel and cut a cross "+" in the rivet head and pry off each "quarter" of the head then tap the shank thru with a drift.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You guys need to follow directions in VIDA and drill those rivets out at 45 degrees angle =)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You guys need to follow directions in VIDA and drill those rivets out at 45 degrees angle =)
Wow that's what I've been doing, didn't know it was the legit Volvo way

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you want to use rivets for reinstall see Post #9 in this thread

·
Registered
587 Posts
Or don't drill them at all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts