SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, need some help. Replaced my rotors and pads a while back and added spacers. Front right makes an intermittent squel as light brake pressure is applied. Heavy pedal and no sound. It is rotational sound...meaning only happens same spot spinning.....warped rotor? I will try to record the sound tomorrow. Any ideas?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same issue you are describing a while back, took my car in to the dealer and they discovered a "bent dust shield" or something like that.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had the same issue you are describing a while back, took my car in to the dealer and they discovered a "bent dust shield" or something like that.
Yeah, seems like every time I do my brakes I test drive the car after and find that I have to bend a dust shield or two back away from the rotor(s). I hope that's all it is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will try thanks....will update.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, seems like every time I do my brakes I test drive the car after and find that I have to bend a dust shield or two back away from the rotor(s). I hope that's all it is.
Ok. So would the sound be there all the time if this was the case. Driving, no sound. Braking is where the sound is initiated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Another vote for grease on back of pads. My Volvo R brembos are squealing their asses off need to pull pads and put more grease. Is its only light brake pressure under like 20 mph, and stops if you press pedal harder?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another vote for grease on back of pads. My Volvo R brembos are squealing their asses off need to pull pads and put more grease. Is its only light brake pressure under like 20 mph, and stops if you press pedal harder?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
I pulled the pads and re-greased...plenty. Only right front does it, with light pedal pressure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are these some form of high performance Stop Tech pad? If so noise or brake dust is not much of a concern in their compound.

Is there a chamfer at the leading edge of the pad? This can reduce noise on the light application of brakes, again would not be done on a race pad.

I would not bring up the notion of "warped rotors" to Stop Tech without first reading their white paper on the myth.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths
Yes - Ceramic pads - concern about the warped rotor is that it is only the front right, and the sound is not uniform. Seems like uneven rotational noise when applying light pressure. Will try to record it on the way home.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
If you are bent on it being a warped rotor, swap left and right.

Make sure the matting surfaces are clean on the hub, rotor and wheel. Are you using a torque wrench???

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Make sure the pin retaining clip is installed centered and straight. If it's not that will squeal.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I do not have grease on ANY of my pads, I reused the shims on the front pads however my StopTech Pads and DRT D/S Rotors have been amazing, no fade, stops great, silent for the most part a couple squeals on occasion but really who gives hoot if they squeal a little, unless they are shrieking than let them be. Peolple go OMG those brakes just squeaked! Wait, holy crap, THOSE ARE AWESOME. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts