SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was accelerating onto the interstate and heard a *thwop* sound like a hose came loose. I lost all boost pressure but got home just on engine power without any codes being thrown.

After close inspection I saw that the stock plastic pipe going from the intercooler to the throttle body had come off the TB and looked worse for wear, so I ordered a silicone replacement from iPd.

Fitted the hose tonight and snugged both ends as well as the smaller vacuum hose and fired up the car.

The car idled at just over 2grand as usual for its initial warm up before dropping to its normal 750 idle within 15 seconds. During this time i heard the sound of a hose popping off but after looking at my handiwork, all seemed good so wrote it off as the new hose bedding in. (Well the thought satisfied me at the time).

Revving while parked indicated no issues, whereas before the hose repair revving would be quite loud and sporty due to the TB sucking in air. This had now stopped so there was no audible indication that my fitment was bad, and feeling around confirmed it was good.

Took the car for a test drive round the block and immediately noticed a loud whooshing sound upon acceleration. At first I was misled thinking a silicone hose could provide such an audible upgrade, until i realized I still had no boost pressure.

Now my problem sounds like air is being sucked into the turbo and pressurized air is being expelled into the atmosphere. But looking at both the intake hose and the charge pipe hose coming off the turbo I don't see a disconnect. I did swivel the charge pipe a little after disconnecting it at the intercooler in order to install the new hose. Maybe I pulled it loose, but I'm not seeing anything.

I have to wait until the engine cools before I feel around for anything loose around turbo but wanted to post in case I'm missing something.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked and double checked everything once the car had cooled and the only thing i can think is the silicone hose is too big for the stock intercooler outlet. It slides on and off easily which for a hose surprised me initially. I have the hose clamp as tight as possible and reseated it twice, but with no success.

I've emailed iPD about this and hope they can shed some light. I think next step when i get home is to measure the silicone hose compared to the stock pipe, which in hindsight I should have done before installing.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I was going to suggest checking the charge pipe to intercooler hose connection. I had a low boost issue for quite a while that I recently fixed. Just under a year ago I replaced the stock plastic charge pipe with a custom all aluminum piece similar to the Snabb one, but made by a local to LA eBay seller. I bought some DO88 similar silicon hoses to fit with it. My low boost never changed on bettered itself. I figured maybe it's a vacuum hose issue somewhere. Then about a month or so ago I was getting really rough and fluctuating idle. In one instance while at idle, the car stalled. I researched and thinking it to maybe be the boost pressure sensor, I bought a new one. In the meantime while waiting for it to be delivered, I checked how the existing one was seated, and it was fine. Then I noticed that the charge pipe to intercooler hose was complete uncoupled! Totally explained the rough idle and instance where the car stalled. I removed the pipe making sure that everything was tightened, snug and secure. Mysteriously my low boost issue was resolved!! Car now boosts happily to 8+ psi as it should be. It more responsive and peppy too. Turned out that when I replaced the coil packs recently, the pipe probably loosened from the hose by bending it back in the same fashion as you did to access things without removing the pipe. Hopefully iPD can give you some insight on your intake hose that seems to fit loose...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts