SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

Need help with air-suspension utilities, because i i couldn't find something in the search engine of the forum.

1- Can the stiffness be adjusted or set?
2- Is the stiffness related to ride height?

For example can you ride low height with low stiffness?
OR high height with soft stiffness?

I can't define whether LOW height is always tight and HIGH height is always more loose..

I would like to ride at the lowest setting but NOT stiff set suspension...

Thank you very much !!
George.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The air suspension has preset settings by Volvo--meaning, you cannot reprogram "Off Road" to behave more like "Dynamic" but with a different ride height. Also, speed plays a role. Dynamic generally rides low all the time, but Eco and Comfort can ride lower at highway speeds than they do cruising the city (the suspension height changes with the car in motion). The best you can do is set certain drive experience settings through "Individual" mode.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
The air suspension has preset settings by Volvo--meaning, you cannot reprogram "Off Road" to behave more like "Dynamic" but with a different ride height. Also, speed plays a role. Dynamic generally rides low all the time, but Eco and Comfort can ride lower at highway speeds than they do cruising the city (the suspension height changes with the car in motion). The best you can do is set certain drive experience settings through "Individual" mode.
Does the lowering at speed really happen in Comfort mode? I have never noticed it... I know on my Porsche Cayenne it would lower at ~70MPH. Was there a reference in the owners manual about this lowering at speed I missed?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
You can choose the mode, not stiffness or height separately. And you can pick either mode in your individual profile.

Off-road mode: highest, not stiff
Comfort mode: normal, not stiff
eco mode: lower, not stiff
dynamic mode: lowest, a little stiffer.

I prefer the dynamic mode for less side swing, and it is not really stiff. In comfort or eco mode it is softer but side swing is more obvious.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone now the height differences between stock suspension and the electronic?

Stock suspension Height :
Electronic suspension height
Lowest and Highest?

I know in RRS the low/high height difference is quite big .

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This can be found in the pricelist, page before last under "Dimensions and Volumes"
Bodemvrijheid (incl. bestuurder) (standaard / met luchtvering)22,3 / 21,2-25,2 cm

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This can be found in the pricelist, page before last under "Dimensions and Volumes"
Bodemvrijheid (incl. bestuurder) (standaard / met luchtvering)22,3 / 21,2-25,2 cm
I haven’t seen it there can you point me to a link please?

From what you are saying the normal suspension sits in the middle at 22.3cm
and air suspension ranges from 21.2-25.2

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven’t seen it there can you point me to a link please?

From what you are saying the normal suspension sits in the middle at 22.3cm
and air suspension ranges from 21.2-25.2
Yes, it is. But on top of that, th air suspension dynamically further reduces height when your speed is over 120 Km/h. In all modes but offroad, obviously. I think it's about 1 more cm lower.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does the lowering at speed really happen in Comfort mode? I have never noticed it... I know on my Porsche Cayenne it would lower at ~70MPH. Was there a reference in the owners manual about this lowering at speed I missed?
Yes, when I drive on rough terrain in comfort mode at low speed, it automatically raise the suspension to off road height, which is very nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts