SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Getting ready to swap in the +07 Bixenon projectors here and I need some help verifying the wiring. As far as I can tell they are the same plugs as the +05 headlights which I already have but I cut off the plugs when I installed mine.

Basically I need to know what color each wire is that goes to each pin on both drivers and passengers side headlight connector( on the headlight itself not car harness). If anybody has the time to go out and pop the hood, pull the connector and just jot down the colors for each pin, not all pins have a wire.

Here is an example of a +07 plug and you can see how each pin is numbered:

The wire colors are easy to see:

I am making some new diagrams for wiring the +05s and the Bixenons but I need some help from the community. Some of the newer lights don't all have color coded wires so the pin out will be very helpful for future reference.

Let me know if you need more clarification and thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
$20.00 via Paypal to the first person who can post the wire color to pin # relations for both sides. these are the connectors for the actual headligjht, not the car side of the harness.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ran out to the garage and could've sworn i had a left over old harness from my retro but I must have thrown it away. Anyway the 01-04 only had the 4 pin plug plus the other harness attached to the turn signal but the four pinout is

Pass side: 1:Black-Ground 2: Dont remember-Used for Xenon I Believe 3:Blue/Yellow Stripe-Low Beam (+) 4:White-High Beam (+)
Driver's Side: 1:Black-Ground 2: Diddo, Dont Remember 3:Blue/White Stripe-Low Beam (+) 4:Blue-High Beam (+)

Thats the car side of the harness now that I think about it. Are you wanting the internal colors, the colors on the inside of the headlight?

·
Registered
773 Posts
NJ:

with the plug oriented the same way you have yours. (you will find, as I have, that some '05+ plugs have all gray wires!)
First, spare wiring harness, given to me by dealer mechanic

top row, starting on the RIGHT (same orientation as your photo so you are looking at the pins on the plug, and this is the color of the wire coming out of the back. )
blank, thick grey, thin black, blank (second spare harness has two thin wires in the two positions on far left)

middle row starting on the RIGHT
blank, thick red, blank, blank (second spare harness has wires in far left position)

bottom row, again starting on the RIGHT
blank, blank, thick black, thick orange (second spare harness has all slots with wires)

Next, harness connected on pair of lights, '05+ Halogen
top row, starting on the RIGHT
orange, thick yellow, blank, blank

middle row starting on the RIGHT
blue, white, thick red, blank

bottom row, again starting on the RIGHT
pink, black, thick grey, thick white

OK, now tell me why the difference!?!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am looking for the colors of the wires that exit the connector for the+2005 headlight, not 01-04 harness sides.

Thanks for that info Al but those are a bit different than what I am looking at on my bixenons. Your second example is very close, close enough to make work I think. One of my new lights has colored harness and the other has all black wires, the position and sizes of the wires are the same between the drivers and passengers side plugs though.

Here is what the drivers side connector looks like on my bixenon projectors:

Here are the cheapo sketches I made for 05 lights into 01-04 cars but it only shows the used wires colors not pin locations.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Just a shot in the dark. Does Volvo have the wiring diagrams at the dealer?

I can't speak for Volvo but I know when I rewired my old Pathfinder's lighting Nissan had the harness wiring diagrams in their database.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the wiring diagrams and VIDA but I can't make sense of it. I just found some old info from my original 05 conversion that looks helpful. Thing is there are small changes in colors from time to time, so I'm trying to match it up and post some numbered diagrams.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at this I was able to sort out the pins on my bixenons, should work for the basics, might have to get creative to activate the hi/lo shutter in the projector. It seems basically the same as the +05 but I am using a big pink wire rather than red wire.

Also found this old pic that helped sort it out:

So this is what the +07 Bixenon should be like:

·
Registered
185 Posts
okay wow yeah now I get what youre saying. And I DID have an extra 05+ halogen harness laying in my garage just don't know what side its off of. It's similar to what you have but still not the same.

Pin:

1.pink
2.black
3.grey
4.white
5.blue
6.small yellow
7.red
8.blank
9.orange
10.big yellow (might be tan but looks pretty yellow to me)
11.blank
12.blank

Also i'm not sure what the volvo OEM bi-xenons are rated for but I know that when I did my retro I had to put in a resistor system on the high beam lead that controlled the shutter solenoids because it was quite a bit of power going to it. The solenoids would get REALLY hot after having the brights on for only about a minute and I didn't want to risk frying them.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay wow yeah now I get what youre saying. And I DID have an extra 05+ halogen harness laying in my garage just don't know what side its off of. It's similar to what you have but still not the same.

Also i'm not sure what the volvo OEM bi-xenons are rated for but I know that when I did my retro I had to put in a resistor system on the high beam lead that controlled the shutter solenoids because it was quite a bit of power going to it. The solenoids would get REALLY hot after having the brights on for only about a minute and I didn't want to risk frying them.
Yup see yours is very, very close - in fact it has the same essential wires in the same spots but your "red" wire is pink on mine.

Yours is like this and the major needed pins are in the same spot, looks like they moved a small blue from 5 on your to 12 on mine, wonder if these change slightly by the year?:

1 pink 2 black 3 grey 4 white
5 blue 6 small yellow 7 red 8 blank
9 orange 10 big yellow 11 blank 12 blank

Like I said, this should be good enough to get the main functions of the headlight. I am assuming the bixenon shutter is wired internally from these main connections so it might just work after wiring it up like this. If not then we'll see how to make it work.
:thumbup:

And ArthurC, thanks for the link but I already have those diagrams and still can't make sense of them, forgive my ignorance but I couldn't find the connector diagrams even in the ABL picture...

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Yeah, I spent some time just testing the pins directly on the car when I was troubleshooting some headlamp issues.

The way the early HID lamps work - the internal wiring is split to run to certain lamps, as well as to a control module. The "high beam" is simply actuated by a motor that is driven by the high beam+ feed. That would be the same for a bi-xenon projector. HOWEVER, you also need to take into account that the high beam (when the headlamp is off) will still fire up the ballast, but that should be wired internally as well. What I'm getting at is that there should be no discreet feed (other than high beam+) to make the shutter work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't know if you have manage to find out what you needed, but the 12.september this trip on my boat is finished and i'm have gotten a damaged abl light that i'am going to cut open.
and then i can take some pictures and make a drawing for you have the internal wiring is on these headlights.
passenger side that is.

·
Registered
157 Posts

here is the pinout. on mine all cables is black.
i have stripped complete wiring in one piece. if you want picture of any part tell me.
the bi-xenon have it's own circuit board.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks and yes I was able to get them working.

I have the final diagrams at home too, I will load them tonight.

Edit - I had them on the photobucket server already so here is what I ended up with and it works fine.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
when i got mine, it came with an harness i didnt do anything, just plug on it.

here is a pic of the high and low beam

video working.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okay so now my question is is there a way for the 07-09 projector bi-xenon headlights to be installed on an 03 S60 with factory halogen headlights?I love those projector headlights and really want to get them as long as there is a way to hook it all up...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Okay so now my question is is there a way for the 07-09 projector bi-xenon headlights to be installed on an 03 S60 with factory halogen headlights?I love those projector headlights and really want to get them as long as there is a way to hook it all up...
Follow everything that NJGreenBudd did. His car is a 2002 IIRC.

So he had to already do the swap over to the +05 headlight harness.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Follow everything that NJGreenBudd did. His car is a 2002 IIRC.

So he had to already do the swap over to the +05 headlight harness.
Alright, so before I follow what he did , First I'm gonna have to get the headlights , 600$ each unless there is a way in hell you can find them cheaper than that -_- so how much is all the harness I would need?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Alright, so before I follow what he did , First I'm gonna have to get the headlights , 600$ each unless there is a way in hell you can find them cheaper in that -_- so how much is all the harness I would need?
You just have to keep your eyes open and really search. It'll no doubt take a while to find them. Just gotta be patient.

as far as the harness and such I can't speak for it. I still have my 02 Halogens.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts