SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day a CEL light came on, will have the code tomorrow after work. The car still ran fine and I didn't have a chance to check it. P2231
Today, leaving work on a cold Chicago day, I turn the car on and let it warm up before I start going and this is what happens during the warm up idle.
This is me turning the car on and not touching the gas. This happens on its own, until the car becomes warm. At that point idle is back to normal.

I just did an oil change, replaced the cabin air filter, and cleaned the air intake filter (K&N - using their cleaning kit - followed directions) at 118,000 miles.

Any Help would be appreciated - My guess is MAF sensor, but not sure.

* Don't mind the crappy bondo guage pod job :) *

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Do you continue losing vacuum like that once the car is warmed up? You mentioned that idle is normal after warming up? Does that mean it drops a little and steadies?

·
Registered
41 Posts
sounds to me like a misfire.....
make sure your not adding coolant...if not then probably a coil issue....common to go bad about 100k

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got the code P2231 - OBD2 sensor

Need to look into it more, but hasn't happened since..
I also changed plugs at 110K maybe I need to look into the coils.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
It's generally the first one closet to the turbo. You can see it if you had Dice or a software to see the readings.

I would also check the PCV. Generally cold start stumbling is indication of ring wear and if bad enough, you would get blow by that would contaminate the PCV and O2. You should also clean out the TB.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suspect my O2 to be shot as well, although not the same symptoms as the OP.

Could anyone please tell me if this o2 sensor will work for the front?

Also, anyone know where the connector end leads to or is located? Have tried to trace the front o2 sensor and have always lost it behind the intake pipe. TIA!

OP, hopefully this will help you with replacing your o2 as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts