SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker first time posting.

I'm installing a pretty elaborate stereo in my 16 S60. To get it out of the way it consists of a Windows 11 pc in glove box w/Fabfilter DSP filtering and correction, 10" subwoofer in fiberglassed enclosure, 3 way active fronts, 3 amplifiers (dual 4 channel and 1 mono).

Last weekend I took the passenger seat out, took the passenger door off, ran 3 new speaker wires to the door and installed one 4 channel amp under the passenger seat.

I need to do the exact thing again except this time on the driver side. I have the seat out and the door off but I can't figure out any easy way to get wire fed up where the molex plug exits the body. I tired taking the plastic that's under the steering wheel off by taking out the two bolts but I'm not having any luck getting it to come off.

Has anyone ran speaker wire to their driver door and if so how and where did you run the wires? Or if anyone has any tips for pulling apart the trim to give me better access I would be so grateful.
Vehicle Aircraft Air travel Mode of transport Automotive design

Vehicle Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

I removed the two bolts in the circled locations but can't get the panel to come off

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
How did you get the wiring into the passenger door? The drivers side, at least in my V60, comes apart the exact same way as the passenger side.

For my install, I basically drilled a new hole in the door, then fitted a new boot and into the grommet on the car. I then had to drill another hole behind the plastic as there was nothing visible that the wire would route through. Volvo V60 - Audio Install Log

That plastic piece on the side where you already removed the hood latch, should just come off the same way as the passengers side. It's been a while since I pulled mine off, but if I remember correctly, it just pulls up in the middle of the door, then pulls back where it runs up the side of the dash.

Please post up info on the PC, that would be pretty cool to see how you get that set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How did you get the wiring into the passenger door? The drivers side, at least in my V60, comes apart the exact same way as the passenger side.

For my install, I basically drilled a new hole in the door, then fitted a new boot and into the grommet on the car. I then had to drill another hole behind the plastic as there was nothing visible that the wire would route through. Volvo V60 - Audio Install Log

That plastic piece on the side where you already removed the hood latch, should just come off the same way as the passengers side. It's been a while since I pulled mine off, but if I remember correctly, it just pulls up in the middle of the door, then pulls back where it runs up the side of the dash.

Please post up info on the PC, that would be pretty cool to see how you get that set up.
I was able to get it done but it wasn't fun. I was never able to get any more panels off but I did take off the emergency park lever and it gave me just barely enough room to get a 90° drill adapter with a drill bit into a pretty good spot so I drilled a small hole and was able to fish them through with the help of my sons small hands.

Since you're interested I'll take some more pictures of the system while I have the seats and some trim pulled out so you can see what I've done, and possibly help the next guy.

As for the pc it's been a headache but I'm really happy with the result. I have a touchscreen for control but have it so that when it boots it auto logs in, syncs with my phone and loads all the necessary DSP software. I use my phone to play my music or podcasts so I don't need to even touch the computer if I don't want to. The Windows touch screen experience isn't what I had hoped for so i tried to keep the needed interaction with it at the bare minimum. The DSP software is amazing and made it worth the hassle. Like I said I'll update this soon and will show how everything's installed and how it works.

Edit: just clicked the link, your build log helped me so many times over the past few months! It was practically my homepage. Especially during planning and ordering parts. You did a real nice job and the service from sharing was priceless so thank you

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Awesome, yeah I'll definitely be interested to see the PC build. In my previous car I ran a tablet set up for years, considered a full blown PC a couple times, but the tablet was so reliable i never took it any further. By the time the tablet died, I just replaced it with a Kenwood eXcelon unit.

That's awesome that my build log came in useful for you. Really glad to hear that 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been thinking about installing a pc for a while now, probably 2 or 3 cars ago. I was on the fence for a year about whether to even bother with upgrading the sound or just being happy it stock. Of course I gave in and since it was going to be a ton of effort (even more than I was expecting) that I would try not to cut corners. So of course that meant going active. By the time I bought 3 amps, a subwoofer, the speakers and touchscreen I had already topped my original budget. I use fabfilter for my home setup, had a laptop with a broken screen and a spare USB dac so I went with a pc really out of trying to use what I had instead of trying to justify another $400 to the woman in charge. It took longer than I'd like to admit getting the pc dialed in, especially fun in the 100° weather. I would probably just bite the bullet and go with a minidsp or similar if I had a mulligan. All that said it's really nice having the freedom and power of a pc to play around with. I'll find out in a few days when I get it tuned whether it was worth it.

How do you like your infinity mids? I have Anarchy 7 woofers, Wavecor TW022WA02 tweeters and some Wavecor 2 3/4" mids. I've had the speakers installed for a few months with passive crossovers and the mids are just not doing it for me, think it's the aluminum cone. Hopefully the eq will tame them but running a dome mid is something I'm curious about.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
How do you like your infinity mids?
I liked them, but no longer use them. Talking with a couple friends and because of the crossover point I had to use with them, it was pulling the sound stage down slightly. So, I swapped them out with Audiofrog GS25 which allowed me to lower the crossover enough that it no longer pulls down.

The Infinity are just sitting in the box now, you're welcome to have them for the cost of shipping if you'd like. They work perfectly, just one speaker lead needs resoldering (it's loose, currently held on with some tape).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I liked them, but no longer use them. Talking with a couple friends and because of the crossover point I had to use with them, it was pulling the sound stage down slightly. So, I swapped them out with Audiofrog GS25 which allowed me to lower the crossover enough that it no longer pulls down.

The Infinity are just sitting in the box now, you're welcome to have them for the cost of shipping if you'd like. They work perfectly, just one speaker lead needs resoldering (it's loose, currently held on with some tape).
Wow really?! That's extremely kind and generous of you. I would absolutely love to give them a run in my white Volvo. I'm taken back and can't even remember what I was going to say! Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts