SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that previous owners of my Volvo S40 2005 T5 had made their own self made T-connection from the engine to the crankcase with one hose running directly out into the atmosphere under the engine and the other hose connected to the PCV. When cleaning the crankcase I also note that the electric cable that is supposed to be connected to the black plastic top of the PCV was also disconnected. As the matter of fact it is nowhere to be found in the engine compartment. I was looking from below and from above but couldn't find it.

I do not know if the cable goes to a sensor in the crankcase, a small pump or what it does and therefore I seek answers from someone more knowledgeable than me. Preferably article number, where and how to connect it and what it does.

When i bought the car I did not know much about cars and I have been learning ever since. Because of this and as well as three car workshops including Volvo's inability to note or report this, the car has thus been driven without a properly connected crankcase for several thousand miles, what can the consequences of this be?
The reasons for me starting to investigate this in the first place is rough idle, the engine loosing power and dropping in RPM when coming to a stop a slowing down, sometimes even dies completely and very uneven functioning in lower gears and RPM's. The symptoms have gradually become worse and worse.

Attached a diagram from Volvo of the PCV. The electric cable I'm pointing to in the text is part number 11 - 14. Also a Picture of my PCV with description.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
It's not a sensor, it's a preheater and it's optional. Some cars don't have them connected at all, others disconnect them for various reasons with no issue.

That tee looks kinda gross. It may work, but I wouldn't trust it. Replacing the PCV and its hoses may be a good idea. Are you getting a check engine light?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's not a sensor, it's a preheater and it's optional. Some cars don't have them connected at all, others disconnect them for various reasons with no issue.

That tee looks kinda gross. It may work, but I wouldn't trust it. Replacing the PCV and its hoses may be a good idea. Are you getting a check engine light?
Thank you so much for your reply!

What may be the reasons for disconnecting that cable?

When searching the engine area for the cable I found this:

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0lh7yOSRs-4rKFW8wNHLjOT4w?fbclid=IwAR1hg0FeJILNDcLluhG0iSK2witz55APJm4-4AjYuePkC_KktCoKjnclK_g

Any idea what cable is for?

I removed the PCV to check if it was clogged up but it looks fine, also the oil channels from the engine and to the oil sump. The membrane in the PCV is also OK. My theory is that because of the T connection (where is one of the hoses just shooting out fumes into the atmosphere) there has never been enough vacuum since the PCV-system was never a closed system.
I purchased new hoses for the PCV and put everything in place and decided to do an engine flush and ran to car on idle for 10 minutes with the cleaning oil in the engine as followed by the instructions. However LOTS of white smoke came out of the exhaust, also oil (I think or soot that came in contact with water) in the exhaust pipe and the most troublesome part - white smoke coming out of the engine bay behind the engine somewhere around or within the area of the downpipe. Any ideas on what this can be?

Yes I have been getting P2188 since the first day. It comes and goes, usually when driving in cities with lots of starts and stops.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I don't recognize that connector, sorry. I guess I'd suggest seeing where it reaches, all around, and look for an open socket that matches.

P2188 is a lean mixture condition which could certainly be caused by that wide-open breather hose. It's supposed to connect directly to the PCV, which will regulate the pressure of the closed system. If someone installed it, 99% likely it was because of an overpressure situation. You will need to figure that out!

Ok, white smoke and oil out the tailpipe is never good. I guess you can hope it's simply the "cleaning oil" blowing by the rings, or something. A little voice tells me however that leaking rings and a turbo can cause crankcase overpressure, which can cause many leaks and may be the reason for that tee.

White smoke behind the engine is similarly ominous. The turbo is back there, and it has oil lines feeding it. I think you need to get a really good look all around this motor.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
508 Posts
P2188 should be "bank 1 too rich" I thought, if the O2 sensor is covered in oil or other things it might cause that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts