SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. 04 S60R MT. Back story is that I lost 1st gear a few days back. (adjusted cables but it didn't change anything) I changed the gear oil and replaced it with royal purple max gear, thinking that 1st might have been dry. The oil that came out was grey and the drain plug was filled with 1/4" pieces of metal (looked like sheared gear teeth). Took the car to Mr. Transmission and they recommended replacement and were not willing to rebuild. The asked for more money than I have so the search for an M66 began. After doing a search on this forum, I found that the s40 t5 awd is a compatible swap. First question: Is that accurate? here is the link that I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14048777756...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2636wt_1109
When I asked him about it, here was his response: "Here is the vin# YV1MH682552100927, yes this transmission is a m66awd transmission, thank you."

I'm just trying to make sure that this is the transmission that I need. If not, I found another one but its 500 more and has more mileage on it. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Why wouldn't you just take it to a dealer?
You probably need new shifter cables
You're just doing stuff for no reason.

Change gearbox oil?????? what a waste of time

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
closest dealer is 2 hours away. Why would I try to drive that far if the transmission isn't working properly? Cables aren't going to help the loss of metal on the gears based on the quality of the old oil. I would have never known the condition of the tranny without changing the oil. Didn't really answer anything I had asked for... but thanks for responding.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response brother. Yeah I was worried about that too. I know the focus that had the m66 in it needed minor modification on the cable brackets. Hopefully, the s40 is a direct drop but I'm hoping some of the gurus on here will be able to help out.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Keep in mind that different model year transmissions use different flywheel/pressureplate/clutch discs. Ihave06 engine, 06 flywheel, 05clutch,06 pressure plate, 05 transmission. Learned it the hard way.

·
Registered
398 Posts

If he has 1/4" pieces of metal in the gear oil, there's no cables in the world that can fix that. There's a 99% chance 1st gear looks like this

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Dude. Go to a shop that will rebuild it, or find an independent mechanic that can do it... It will probably cost 300-600$ to rebuild if you can get the trans off yourself, AND if it's only 1st gear.... If it's ONLY first gear, two cogs, bearings, and labor.. Might as well replace synchros, seals, and some of the other bearings while it's apart... Will cost a bit more but it's worth it. Unless you can find a used trans in good shape for less, that's the best option.

I rebuild DSM transmissions, we charge about 200-400 depending on how bad it is, and what needs replacing.

Here's a pic of one I did a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
635 Posts

Not to be a dick, but that's quite the most unhelpful post. Obviously we all know we can take our car to the dealer. These forums exist in order to circumvent taking our cars to the dealer if at all possible.

/rant

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude. Go to a shop that will rebuild it, or find an independent mechanic that can do it... It will probably cost 300-600$ to rebuild if you can get the trans off yourself, AND if it's only 1st gear.... If it's ONLY first gear, two cogs, bearings, and labor.. Might as well replace synchros, seals, and some of the other bearings while it's apart... Will cost a bit more but it's worth it. Unless you can find a used trans in good shape for less, that's the best option.

I rebuild DSM transmissions, we charge about 200-400 depending on how bad it is, and what needs replacing.

Here's a pic of one I did a few weeks ago...

I took it to Mr. Transmission and they said that they wouldn't rebuild it based upon what they were hearing when they put it on the lift and drove it through the gears that were working. I miss my DSM. We should talk shop sometime. My wife was pissed that the transmission went on this car. She hated the talon because I was always putting money into it. She just doesn't want this car to be the same way. OEM maintenance is fine, just no more mods for me ;-)

Not to be a dick, but that's quite the most unhelpful post. Obviously we all know we can take our car to the dealer. These forums exist in order to circumvent taking our cars to the dealer if at all possible.

/rant
I agree. Worthless post by that guy.

Thanks again for all of your help guys. I'm currently trying to source a used tranny.

·
Registered
588 Posts

/rant
LOL!!! Exactly! No one wants to raped at the freaking stealership!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
It's just JRL don't take it personal. he seems like an old angry man in almost every post I see from him :D

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

/rant
Guess you haven't been on here long enough to know JRL. This is one of the few times where he probably guessed wrong(or read the post wrong). But that's his style...

Anyway, I agree with Dr. Brutal, bring your tranny to a shop to rebuild. It'll be much cheaper than a new one, and once it's rebuilt, it'll be as good(if not better) than new. While you're there, I would suggest swapping the Slave Cylinder and go for the Viva Single Mass flywheel (optional).

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Guess you haven't been on here long enough to know JRL. This is one of the few times where he probably guessed wrong(or read the post wrong). But that's his style...

Anyway, I agree with Dr. Brutal, bring your tranny to a shop to rebuild. It'll be much cheaper than a new one, and once it's rebuilt, it'll be as good(if not better) than new. While you're there, I would suggest swapping the Slave Cylinder and go for the Viva Single Mass flywheel (optional).
New slave. YES!

Single Mass Flywheel. YES!

NEW Collar sleeve. YES!

·
Registered
573 Posts

If you don't like his posts you should try meeting him in person like I did one year at the Carlisle PA car show.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been working with George from Viva and he actually recommended those as well. I contacted Adam, but I still have to work some things out on this end before I pull the trigger. I also found a couple other transmissions in the for sale section.

I need to find a local shop. The big name shop (Mr. Transmission) just receives a reman and installs it, or sends yours out for rebuild. They don't do it in house. I have a promising lead from a co-worker that I will follow up on tomorrow!

Already on the to-do list for this swap:

New angle gear collar sleeve
Angle gear reseal kit (might as well + removing that axle)
Transmission axle seal
Slave/Throw out kit
Rear Main seal (might as well while I'm in there)

I'm not opposed to doing the work myself, I did all the work on my talon, I just have no idea how to rebuild a tranny ;-)

To answer my own question (thanks George). The transmission in the original post (s40 T5 awd) is a direct fit as far as the case, selectors, angle gear sleeve size, etc. The difference is internal with different drive ratios. So I might be staying clear of that.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bought a used tranny from a member of the forums. Once I receive it, and the rest of the parts that I still have to afford ;-), I will post a comprehensive how-to. I just have to enroll a picture b!t^& to snap the pics.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What year did the trans come out of? Hope you seen my post as it will save you a nighmare of redoing things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts