SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked my car alil while ago and at maybe a 10 degree hill in my driveway, nose down. I got in to move it to vacuum it and my key will turn until the first setting where it turns on the electronics, radio, ect, but it absolutely will not turn beyond that.
I've messed with the parking brake, locking and unlocking the steering wheel, ect and with no avail.. I dont know what to do here..

Anyone Please Help!

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn just saw Whitemoose is having similar problems.. I've never had anything like this happen but I'm gonna go back out and toy with it.. Shouldnt have anything to do with D/Cing the battery and letting everything reset?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, nothing guys.. I've done everything.. And I'm stuck. Luckily at home but still a big problem.. I've tried turning the hell out of the wheel unfortunately dry rubbing my Supersports, locking and unlocking it when off, pumping the brake and messing with the parking brake.. I dont know what else to do.. aside from calling the Volvo dealer in the morning since its sunday but most likely they will say to have it towed in so they can look at it... Which is B.S. and will not do..

Any other ideas? I cant afford this crap right now as I was laid off about 2mos ago.. Funds are tight.:(

·
Registered
808 Posts
You most likely need a new lock cylinder/mechanism, only available to be special ordered from the dealer. I've seen this happen before. You may be able to force turn it and get it started to drive it to the dealer. but be careful not to break the key. Probably best to use the valet key if you have it. Sorry to hear about the lay off.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crap.. Simply put.. Damn if it cant be started aside from maybe pulling out the wires and 'stealing' it.. then hell I dont know what else to do.. This is such an enormously bad time for this.. I still have other maintanence issues to address with the car but its just not the time..

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
crap.. Simply put.. Damn if it cant be started aside from maybe pulling out the wires and 'stealing' it.. then hell I dont know what else to do.. This is such an enormously bad time for this.. I still have other maintanence issues to address with the car but its just not the time..
How hard are you turning the key? This happens to me sometimes and I just keep pressing until the key eventually turns

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stefan- Its more or less like it locks or stops.. There is no play.. I've put considerable force on it with nothing.. First setting all my lights, radio, ect come on but cant turn it to the secondary setting..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok well after reading through a few posts on this I took some of the advice, sprayed alil wd-40 into the key hole since that is all I had and put considerable pressure on the key until it broke free.. I repeated this several times to make sure I can still repeat this when driving the car.. Like someone else had mentioned after they had gotten it broken free it certainly is NOT smooth and still requires some force to pass the first position. Also once the car is started I must turn back on the key so the ignition does not continue to fire..

So at the moment its driveable until I can get the damn thing replaced... Dont like it but...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update for those with this problem.. Once I got it forced to start it was still for multiple startups however after driving for a few miles, stopping to get gas and restarting it is smooth a butter again! Lol.. Hope it stays that way.. After driving 175miles last two days and no problems..

Thanks all for the suggestions and all the other posts on the subject!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well for those that care...:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts