SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a xc70, 04 with 130k
I have never owned a Volvo but look to buy a second owner that they bought as a certified car, they did the 90k service. Whitin the last year and 1/2 the front and rear rotor and pads replaces, a radiator assembly with lower and upper hoses, timing and serpentine belts replaced, fuel pump and sending unit module. There are receipts for all of the work. Is there anything else that might need to be done with it having 130k.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm a 2nd owner of a really well kept 04 xc70 myself. I'm no expert, but at 117k sone things I feel I might be coming up on in next 15k or so:

- suspension rebuild (struts/shocks/springs/other bits)
- replacing a ton of OEM rubber bushings and gaskets
- possible steering rack stuff.
- catback exhaust (OEM rusting out)
- brakes (but you did some of that)
- vacuum lines

I'll let the more experienced chime in with other specifics. Hope this was mildly helpful

·
Registered
921 Posts
Timing belt and cooling stuff (radiator, water pump) are nice to have, since the service interval is 10 years or 120k miles, whichever comes first.

If the car has never had work done on the AWD differentials, that will eventually need to be done. Someone with more experience in the Volvo P2 AWD system can chime in here.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Better check the AWD to see if it's working

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Stop on a slippery surface like gravel and floor it. If you have lots of front wheelspin your AWD doesn't work.

Also at that age the PCV system is at risk of being clogged, it's a once every 100k kind of maintenance. Test like this: https://youtu.be/FIRoc0VxLd4?t=426 Watch the whole video for more info.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
What's the best way to check if the AWD is working
I just did this last week.

Find some wet pavement or loose dirt and gravel. Do a brake torque launch--hold brake with left foot while raising rpms/boost with right foot, then let go of brake and go! If you get more than a tiny fraction of wheel spin, or the steering wheel jerks right, AWD is likely toast or on the way.

If you have a lift (I didn't) throw it up and put the car in drive. All 4 wheels should spin.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Well, its been off the factory floor for 11-12 years now, so besides all the suspension, there are motor mounts, and the electrical stuff will probably start showing its age. Radio goes first for sure, but the DIM on the instrument cluster, and other general wiring and switches could be nearing end-of-life. My tailgate struts gave up suddenly last year @ abt 126K.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Read the post and answers below this one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts