SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wastegate was loose and pretty much floating. I bolted it back down and went for a drive. Accelerated fairly hard in 3rd, heard a nice bang and white smoke came out until I could limp the car to the side of the road.

I have codes for boost pressure too high, misfire on at least one cylinder, and misfire cylinder 1 - catalyst damage. I am afraid to turn the car back on. What do I do??

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Sorry, white smoke is coolant. You can turn it back on all you want, the damage is done, I am truly sorry, sounds like a cracked block. I really hope I am wrong. These cars are pretty sensitive to wastegate settings, overboost and big problems. You just cannot f*** with the wastegate on these cars. I have said this before, sorry.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know Madden. I actually never changed the WG setting. I turned the rod one way and back the other same amount. The problem was my wastegate bolts were gone and the wastegate was just floating there. I bolted it back and off I went.

RIP R

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oh noes. I hope for the best but even if the worst is true it just means that now is your chance to rebuild it!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Damn son i was just with her Sunday, but you knew that

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Didn't I just see another thread about a used block?

Edit: nvm, that was a "wanted".

·
Registered
876 Posts
Fu*k, that sucks. You did so much to it in last few weeks.
Well, decision time....

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
So sorry, obviously something was remiss with the WG. What a shame, you have a very nice car,you've put a lot into it and pampered it. It can be fixed, and stronger. I'd buy you a beer if I was not on the west coast.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Calling Pirate, we need KB stat!!!!

This is tragic news! Sorry to hear!

·
6,436 Posts
Damn Patt that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Don't you have a boost gauge?

Sell the car through insurance and buy a MT....or do an engine and tranny swap :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
That does sound bad, my condolences. Since your waste-gate was not properly attached there is no way of knowing what PSI it was really opening at. In retrospect, once you bolted it on correctly you probably should have checked what pressure it was set to open at, as it had to have changed from from what it was opening at when it was barely bolted on.

There is at least one R being parted out in the classifieds maybe the engine is not yet spoken for

·
Registered
73 Posts
This happened to me once as well, I had lent the car out to my father for a rather long trip (certainly longer than was advertised). When I got her back there was zero power; a floopy waste gate. Fixed, I took her out for a spin, I was tender with her but did get quite the surprise wen the turbo fist kicked in, a kind of a 'bang' but more so a 'violent' loss of power, engine kept running but there was a cloud of smoke behind me although not so must white as more grey blue. I figure the computer shut the fuel off when boost started to spike past what it deemed acceptable based on the 'learned' parameters of the past few weeks with an open waste gate. After I cleared the computer and dialed in a more conservative waste gate setting I have had no problems since. The smoke I saw I assume was a small amount of oil puddled in the bottom of the compressor that was pushed in to the engine.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Man that's sure makes me nervous though. How much boost do you think you were hitting?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Waste-gate was opening at 7, I did check. 7 was how it came from the factory so I thought I was OK
Factory setting is around 4.5 to 5 IIRC. That is why adjusting it gives better throttle response. 7 is pretty much as high a you can safely go, I set mine between 6 & 6.5 because it is my DD & wanted to be a little conservative. You might have had some underlying issue that was exacerbated by the 7 psi WG, impossible to tell at this point, how many miles were on the motor?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I have a low coolant light so I think it's obvious.

What are my options? Used motor? Rebuild?
Depends on the extent of the damage. If you only have the low coolant warning, there may be reason for hope. When my engine blew, it gave two distinct excessive heat warnings after low coolant, one was something like EXTREME TEMPERATURE, the next was like DANGER - TURN ENGINE OFF NOW. My rebuild from an indy was about $3500. But there was a lot of precision machining involved. Maybe yours did not warp like mine did, since you did not get the messages I got. A new engine is available and will run 8-9K, plus labor. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts