SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am going to replace the engine in my 2003 xc70. I got a new used engine from a salvage yard. And there are two little metal things epoxied to a couple of small holes near the oil trap underneath the intake manifold that say”guarantee void if removed”. Does anyone know what these things are?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Does the yard you purchased it from warranty their engines? Might be related to that?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
That's so you can't make a warranty claim and get them to send you another engine for free by sending them your junk one or some other engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh ok makes sense. Thanks. With regards to the swap, I’m am going to be removing the tranny and engine together as a unit, from the top. Because I read that is the easiest way to do it. The only real write up I could find using this method is https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/downloads/1995_Volvo_850_Auto_Engine_and_Transmission_Removal.pdf

Which looks really good. I’m just concerned because it a for such an older model. Anybody else know of any other write ups involving this process but more current? Or any tips and tricks would be appreciated. I’ve searched forums and there is some great information. But I just want to be prepared as possible. And I look the idea of a step by step guide. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ABS will be in your way. Need to unbolt and slightly move it around while pulling it all up. Use chain to lift the combo and make it so that the transmission hangs about 4 inches lower than the engine. You'll figure it out :)

Here it was only slightly inclined and it was hard to take it out:

Putting engine into donor chassis was 10x easier as I already pulled engine two times and knew how it should be properly oriented on the hoist.

That kit is invaluable for plugging every hole:

Other than tight space in engine compartment the job is straightforward and, I would say, easy.

·
Registered
17,304 Posts
My advice. Label everything as it comes apart, bag and tag fasteners and take pictures.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They are thermal seals, if you overheat the engine they will fall off, voiding any warranty they may have given you

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
They are thermal seals, if you overheat the engine they will fall off, voiding any warranty they may have given you
Leave it to the aussie to be more american with these things than americans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts