SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had an ink pen from her apron explode in the passenger seat and created a dark ink stain. She bought this cleaner to try and get it out.

While it did pull some of the ink stain out, it also caused a different stain in the seat.

These are the leather and cloth combo seats in the ocean race edition. Can anyone help me out?

Sorry for the lighting in the pictures. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had good results on auto carpet using a product called Blue Magic, might be worth a shot.

Also spruced up the alcantara in my old R using a bit of Woolite on a cloth.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Hairspray. Seriously. Test it somewhere inconspicuous first.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hairspray. Seriously. Test it somewhere inconspicuous first.
Was going to post this, but I see that it's cloth and leather. I've had good luck removing ink from leather with hairspray. Don't know how it would work on cloth.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Was going to post this, but I see that it's cloth and leather. I've had good luck removing ink from leather with hairspray. Don't know how it would work on cloth.
I've used it on cloth, but not leather.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the input! Is there any particular hairspray to use, or just any type?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Aqua Net.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I've only tried the aerosol type.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So you've spread the stain. Hairspray has alcohol in it , alcohol dissolves ink. But hairspray has other binding chemicals in it. Ditch it and get some rubbing alcohol. Get a wet vac or rent the machines. ( you want the best chance of saving this, right?). You want to saturate the stain with alcohol and then use the vac to suck up the liquid and ink. The ink wants to spread and sink in , so use the suction. You'll do this a bunch, and you don't want to scrub the material......good luck.
Personally, it might be too much imbedded now and this might not work, but it won't be any worse than what damage you may have already done.
I have used tuff stuff for decades and think it's one of the best interior products around. I do not think it made a different stain, you just spread the ink in the material with it.
If this works for you,..... actually? As a final cleanup, i'd use the tuff stuff again and the vacuum....then water and the vacuum
good luck...

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Aqua Net.
Lmao. When critcrid asked what particular hairspray my instant thought was, probably aqua net like my grandma used.

My first thought though was woolite. There is that small suction thing too I've seen advertised on YouTube ads. I'll see if i can find it. Like a mini carpet shampooer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all!

Thanks for everyone's insight. I ended up using hairspray and scrubbing with a damp cloth to pull the ink out, and after that used a dry cloth for the seat.

Unfortunately, I don't own a dehumidifier, so I currently have a small desk fan blowing on the seat to try and help pull moisture out of it. I will update with pictures tomorrow!

Have a great night everyone and thanks again :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just so you are aware, the seats are cloth+vinyl, not leather. At least that's the combo Volvo used for all other non-leather P2 seats. Shame they didn't just do the full leather on the Ocean Races...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I got rid of all stains on roof liner with help of Tornador Black and 5% solution of Chemical Brothers Nonsense cleaner in warm water. I also replaced the driver's side floor carpet with a new one, but could not source the passenger's side, so I cleaned it as well with Tornador. Almost could not tell the difference between new and cleaned carpets. Wife would not be able to tell which one is new for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got caught up in the holiday weekend and work, but here is what it looks like now.

I'm really unhappy with the way it's stained, but at least it's better than the giant ink spot that was there previously. Such is life!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just so you are aware, the seats are cloth+vinyl, not leather. At least that's the combo Volvo used for all other non-leather P2 seats. Shame they didn't just do the full leather on the Ocean Races...
That's actually really good to know since I was going to use lexol leather conditioner on it, but ran out of time.

Makes sense why my other p2 seats are so much comfier.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The OR's are cloth and LEATHER

·
Registered
573 Posts
The OR's are cloth and LEATHER
So the ORs were different from all the other P2 seats in that regard? Mine don't seem like they are leather, certainly not like my '01s seats which are full leather. They seem just like my dad's '04 cloth/vinyl. And the standard '06 XC70 options book (see pdf page 35) lists cloth+vinyl as standard, full leather as an option.

Edit: So I went and found the Ocean Race Brochure (page 1, says right there leather/textile), and JRL is correct unless it's a typo. Weird move Volvo. Guess I can keep using the leather conditioner on the seat sides then, even if they did react differently to it than my V70s full leather seats.

I stand by the statement that these cars should have been full leather. They made a special seat combo (blue stitching, leather+cloth) for ~1100 seats (500 XC70s, 600 XC90s iirc) instead of just blue stitching the full leather seats on otherwise premium trim car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts