SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We were driving down the freeway last week and got sudden loss of power, no response from accelerator and then loss of power steering etc. It then started re-occurring quite often. I managed to limp it home going really easy with revs/acceleration, particularly going up hills but I'm not game to drive it around the city until it's fixed.

Seems like the obvious culprit is likely to be the fuel pressure sensor judging by the sheer number of threads on this.

Now I have to admit, I'm puzzled, I'm not a car whiz but I'm handy enough, I actually can't find the fuel pressure sensor in my car. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I've searched through the forums and how-to's but they all seem to be different from mine and I'm hesitant to pull thing apart more until I can get some guidance as to where I should be looking.
I've attached some photo's, some engine plastic panels removed.

Happy to snap others but would love to get some pointers as to where to look.

If anyone can provide some guidance as to where to look, preferably with a drawing on one of the photos (pretty please) and I'll make sure to document my changeover of the FPS to hopefully help anyone else in this predicament

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm under the assumption that some 2.5s just don't have one.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
you don't have to take anything off. Its on the left side of the car. when looking at the motor, there is a gray thing on the right side of of the motor at the end of the fuel rail. there is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail a few inches to the left of the sensor. the O'reilly or NAPA we got for $75 said Bosch.

The $75 one we got doesn't have the hole for the cable to tie to, so I used a zip tie. From memory I think the only thing you remove is the tin cover at the front of the car/motor under the turbo cross pipe. move your hand in the third picture to the other side of the air intake, then move back a few weeks. there is a gray piece with a few wires attached to it. That's it.

Drain the fuel from the Schrader first. That got a little messy for me. I didn't have enough paper towel.

Try this link for instructions
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?154495

·
Registered
164 Posts
Could not find one either on a 2004 I found in the junkyard. Where Tommm is talking about is where it is on my 2005 but I don't see it on your car based on the picture. While your symptoms do sound like the FPS, do you have a check engine light? If so, what were the codes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm puzzling..

No error light when it happens initially, then all the warning lights light up on the dash after a bit. Don't think the check engine light came on, I'll try and replicate the error and see if it comes on again
The pressure sensor is definitely not on the end of the fuel rail. Shrader valve at one end and a non removable metal insert on the other end.

Might need to see if there are any codes logged. I think I have a friend with the hardware to interface with the computer

Perhaps it doesn't have one. Haven't seen any pics or guides that match my setup, they have it at the end of the rail as you said.

Any ideas, otherwise I guess I'll just take it to the dealership and brace myself!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I am not very familiar with the 2.5 however, I believe volvo added the FPS later in production. Not sure if all of them had the sensor. If you did, it would be on the fuel rail opposite the relief valve.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My 04 xc90 doesn't have one but my 06 s40 does. The v70 doesn't either but that's a 98.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hopefully there are some codes to help point in the right direction, even if there is no CEL. Only other fuel related items on your car are the pump and the relay (don't think you have a PEM on that car either). Not saying it's fuel related just that there are less fuel components that can fail as compared to the later models. One other thing that I seem to remember was a very poor running condition when a coil failed. Like so much so that the car would even stall. I think that was accompanied by a "reduced engine performance" message or something similar on the DIM. Report back with any codes you may find

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):*
VOLVO / S60 2001-2004

VOLVO / S80 2002-2005

VOLVO / V70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC90 2003-2005

Manufacturer: VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. Mfr's Report Date: DEC 17, 2009*
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V483000 PE09039
NHTSA Action Number: PE09039*

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP*
Potential Number of Units Affected: 136100*
Summary:*
VOLVO IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2005 S80, MODEL YEAR 2001-2004 V70, S60, XC70 AND MODEL YEAR 2003-2005 XC90 VEHICLES SOLD IN OR REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, NORTH CAROLINA, OKLAHOMA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, UTAH, VIRGINIA AND THE U.S. TERRITORIES. THE FUEL PUMP CAN DEVELOP CRACKS IN THE FUEL PUMP FLANGE WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS (HOT CLIMATE AND TEMPERATURE CYCLING) OVER TIME AND IN COMBINATION WITH VARYING FUEL QUALITY.*
Consequence:*
IF THE CONDITION OCCURS VEHICLE OWNERS MAY NOTICE FUEL SMELL AND/OR FUEL LEAK WHICH, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.*
Remedy:*
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL PUMP INSTALLED IN THE VEHICLE, AND, IF IT IS THE DEFECTIVE PUMP, REPLACE IT WITH A PART OF A MODIFIED DESIGN. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE CAMPAIGN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 866-637-3774.*
Notes:*
VOLVO SAFETY RECALL NO. R220. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO*HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV*.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully there are some codes to help point in the right direction, even if there is no CEL. Only other fuel related items on your car are the pump and the relay (don't think you have a PEM on that car either). Not saying it's fuel related just that there are less fuel components that can fail as compared to the later models. One other thing that I seem to remember was a very poor running condition when a coil failed. Like so much so that the car would even stall. I think that was accompanied by a "reduced engine performance" message or something similar on the DIM. Report back with any codes you may find
Thanks everyone for your input, will report back with what I find.

·
Registered
396 Posts
How many miles in your car?

Search for "PEM" issue.
There is a nice DIY by "ses_volvo". Either in front of RR wheel well area or trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've put all of the panels back on and have been driving it again, and the fault hasn't come back, after a week of driving in a variety of conditions.

Well that worked better than expected ... :)

Could it have been just a dodgy batch of fuel or something? Or a small bit of particulate in the fuel line that may have flushed when I drained the fuel rail?

I don't know but all going well this was just a one off or short lived issue and not a sporadic fault.

Thanks everyone for your input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts