SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several threads on the forum about getting new batteries for our R's and I've decided I might as well get the stock 600amp one since the interstate battery seems to be about the same price, and the interstate seems to be available only online; after shipping it ends up costing quite a bit more. Perhaps someone could advise me where an interstate could be found locally for a decent price?

My local dealership wants $132 for the OEM battery without installation.

I originally ordered the battery through tasca for $98+10 shipping. But apparently my order was cancelled and it says "unavailable" under order status (was going to call them today, but they're already closed...4:30PM EST).

I'm still going to call Tasca tomorrow to see precisely what happened with my order, but any suggestions would be welcome. I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just called. They want $156+tax.

Looks like even without shipping, interstate is more expensive than going to the dealer.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
My local dealership wants $132 for the OEM battery without installation.
That's a good deal! This offer is much lower than my local dealer. I would buy it, and install it yourself. It takes about 10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
635 Posts
in February I paid $125 with my core at the dealer here in Dallas. I've got a wholesale acct there now, $96 with core. All you need is a tax ID for them to open a wholesale acct for you.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
in February I paid $125 with my core at the dealer here in Dallas. I've got a wholesale acct there now, $96 with core. All you need is a tax ID for them to open a wholesale acct for you.

Firestone has interstate batteries. I just got one today, for 150$ with core and tax with an additional 130 (so, 730) CCA over the stock battery. Same exact size, and shape. Dealer price for a 600 CCA was 125$ with wholesale pricing.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Note that if you buy a battery at the dealer, you'll get a core refund when you return your old one so it comes out to really only about $100 in cost I think.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Note that if you buy a battery at the dealer, you'll get a core refund when you return your old one so it comes out to really only about $100 in cost I think.
i should probably just do this. i wonder how long my original will hold out :p two winters in a row i've left it hooked up all winter while the car slept. one of these springs it just won't start, heh.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
5 to 8 years
Volvo batteries are pretty darn good to begin with plus the P2 goes into "sleep mode" which saves the charge big time.
A GEN 1 will go dead in about 5-7 weeks if not started and run
We're just replacing 2004s now

(My dealer carries Interstate)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
When I needed a battery I found a 30% off coupon for Autozone online only, so I bought it online for in-store pickup and it was under $100. I made a thread about it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Advance Auto had a direct replacement for $125, I think.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes advance has them for around 125 and they always have coupons but 125 from dealer sounds good too!

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
i should probably just do this. i wonder how long my original will hold out :p two winters in a row i've left it hooked up all winter while the car slept. one of these springs it just won't start, heh.
I just replaced mine for the first time a few months ago, so that's about 6.5 years.
I noticed that it was cranking a lot slower and getting worse fast over the course of 3-4 days. Still started the car each time though. No other oddities.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
CAA (and, I assume, AAA) have a battery service. On a jump call, they come and do a full test of your battery (takes about 5-minutes) and if it is bad can sell you a quality replacement at a competitive price and, of course, install it. The warranty is also full service. Paid about $150 for a new one for our '02 S60 AWD winter before last and am very happy (they came and jumped/tested it once last winter when we let it run down by letting the car sit for a few weeks.)

The guy who did ours mentioned that he had just done a Mercedes and offered to replace the battery for $175. Despite the CAA battery being from the same supplier Mercedes Canada uses, the owner decided to go to the dealer for $425 instead(!)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, I have to make this decision in the next 30 min.

I have a friend who can get me an AC Delco battery for $98.50 wholesale with 3 year warranty vs. the dealership's $132 which only has a 1 year warranty (they install it for $30 and give me a 5 year warranty for a total of $162 for a battery replacement :eek: ).

I'm a bit tight on money (not something you'd want to hear with an R, but this seems like a minor thing honestly). Should I go with the AC Delco and save some money? I would think it would still last a while because the battery is placed in the trunk away from the engine heat?

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I would get the AC Delco as I'm a cheapskate though you can't argue with the OEM batteries' longevity. I am getting ready to replace the original battery on my '05.

Just make sure the AC Delco one has the venting. I've been in a few Rs that haven't used the venting with a new battery and you can smell the battery fumes and it's kind of nasty and probably not very good for you.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I would get the AC Delco as I'm a cheapskate though you can't argue with the OEM batteries' longevity. I am getting ready to replace the original battery on my '05.

Just make sure the AC Delco one has the venting. I've been in a few Rs that haven't used the venting with a new battery and you can smell the battery fumes and it's kind of nasty and probably not very good for you.
Thanks, Wayne. Found what it is here: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_s60/05s60_11b.htm#pg147 I just went out to my R and found the vent hose isn't hooked up to the battery, is just dangling there, and the battery doesn't have a ventillation opening anywhere? Am I not looking hard enough? It's the OEM Volvo battery...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There should be a hole at top center of case side on the narrow end. The other end should have the same hole but be plugged.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts