SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the attention grabbing title but I'm in the middle of changing my spark plugs and came across something a bit...alarming.

So ever since I started noticing oil around the coils I have been using a better funnel to change my oil. I guess I didn't do a very good job, or more than I thought had spilled.

The middle cylinder (the dirtiest looking one) is the one with the oil in it. Is there something I can do to clean this out? Are the coils wrecked? If I remove the spark plug and this oil/slug gets into the cylinder am I screwed?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think you should be fine. Were you just driving the car? If so, the coils will be fine. I'm guessing your PCV breather hose has a small crack or like you said, you spilled a bit when changing oil.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah, been driving it for a couple hundred miles since oil change actually. I'm just going to shove a rag down in there once I get the plug out. Would a little WD40 hurt if I sprayed that around?

EDIT: caR has been sitting for about 3 or 4 hours since last driven.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
No need to worry about the coil, you can remove the boot and clean the oil from it. Easiest way to clean out the spark plug hole is to spray some solvent in there like mineral spirits and blow it out, then repeat till it looks clear. Do this before you pull the plug so no crud gets down in your cylinder.

There are 3 possible sources of your oil there. One is that you spilled oil when filling the motor, but if you never did such a thing there are two other possibilities.

One is that the rubber gasket on the cap might be going bad. Easy fix and cheap since you don't even need to buy a new cap, you can get just the gasket from a site like FCP Euro.

The other possibility is that your PCV breather hose that goes to the valve cover is starting to disintegrate. It can also be changed, if you google for it you can find lots of threads on PCV maintenance which sometimes involve changing that hose.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would spray carb cleaner, then take compressed air and blow it out with a rag on top to catch the dirt.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remembered my original PCV hose did just that, disintegrate, and I had it replaced with the Volvo update to better material. At least that was what the dealer told me when I had it done (under warranty).

you have no idea how much it helps to have you guys on this forum. I tend to get overly nervous when things like this happen (comes from my mother). Thanks for talking me down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts