SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm looking for some help with some DTCs I've got. Read the codes in VIDA today and this is what came up.

Scrolled down...

So first off I see that there's an issue with the DEM or AOC pump, not sure which is at fault but I already knew my AWD wasn't working, hope to get Xemodex to rebuild the DEM along with a new pump soon which should take care of that.

The other day I got a Brake Failure Stop Safetly message while I was driving. Brakes were fine, pulled over and restarted car and it went away. Couple weeks later (today) I get the same message while driving and pull over and restart the car, the message goes away but then I immediately get Chasis Settings Service Required Message and my 4c buttons go out and car has no 4c functionality.

In these codes its also saying that there's communication issues with the SUM, SAS, ECU, BCM and ECM! Are all these modules dying or is there some sort of problem that's causing the whole system to freak out? I looked at the details for each of those codes and it's not very clear as to what the problem could be.

Anyone that can offer some knowledge on this?

-Update-
For anyone reading this with AWD issues, intermittent but persistent BCM-0094 and CEM-1A64 was a bad DEM. Not sure if the aoc pump was bad but it was replaced and then the DEM was sent to Xemodex for repair. $1000 dollars later I have AWD. The Brake Failure Stop Safely Message seems to trigger the slurry of codes I had (minus the lamp and missfire codes) and so far I have not had that issue since repairing the DEM. Xemodex says that it is possibly for a bad DEM to take down the network because the DEM talks directly with the BCM.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
That's a mess. Erase all, drive around the block, update, and see which codes come back.

Being 2004 the CEM is known to overheat can cause issues. You can send it out for a fix, or you can DIY a heat shield onto it.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
I'm going to be that guy...

Has your battery been replaced? How old is it? The batteries on our caRs are all reaching the end of their lives and when they get there they create all kinds of weird issues from crazy signals to HUD going dark.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to be that guy...

Has your battery been replaced? How old is it? The batteries on our caRs are all reaching the end of their lives and when they get there they create all kinds of weird issues from crazy signals to HUD going dark.

I was just thinking the same, literally just pricing out batteries now. I believe it could be the original battery. It's OEM and I bought my R with 57k miles on it about 2 years ago.

Is there a way I can know if its bad by looking at the voltage in VIDA?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a mess. Erase all, drive around the block, update, and see which codes come back.

Being 2004 the CEM is known to overheat can cause issues. You can send it out for a fix, or you can DIY a heat shield onto it.

Will do tomorrow morning. Nice XC btw.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
I was just thinking the same, literally just pricing out batteries now. I believe it could be the original battery. It's OEM and I bought my R with 57k miles on it about 2 years ago.

Is there a way I can know if its bad by looking at the voltage in VIDA?
I'm not familiar enough with VIDA to know, but just stop by an Advance Auto (or similar) and have them test it. If it's original, I bet it fails; it's 11 years old!

Pricing batteries - My $0.02 is you have two options: Advance Auto AutoCraft Gold or Platinum (use whatever the best coupon code is right now - http://slickdeals.net/coupons/advanceauto-parts/) or Interstate Batteries from Costco

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet thanks for the coupon link lol. Why do you recommend that Advance Auto battery versus a bosch or anything else.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Autocraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls, a trusted battery manufacturer. The coupon codes are awesome at AAP and make the batteries a very reasonable price. I have been using AC Gold batteries in all 4 of my vehicles (5 batteries, since the truck uses 2) for years with very good results. I'm sure there are other options and other opinions, but those are mine.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Autocraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls, a trusted battery manufacturer. The coupon codes are awesome at AAP and make the batteries a very reasonable price. I have been using AC Gold batteries in all 4 of my vehicles (5 batteries, since the truck uses 2) for years with very good results. I'm sure there are other options and other opinions, but those are mine.

Sounds good enough for me! Will replace battery in the AM and clear codes and report back. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Sounds good enough for me! Will replace battery in the AM and clear codes and report back. Thanks for the help so far.
If you're planning to have it tested and then replaced, place an order online so you can use all the discounts available, then go to the store to have your battery tested. If it fails, have it replaced with the battery you ordered; if it tests out good, then cancel your online order and continue the search for the source.

Good luck! Hopefully this sorts it out for you!

Oh, there's also a step by step procedure for replacing the battery in our caRs...
http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/miscissues.htm#207347288

People in this post say they used this upsized battery:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-900-cca-49h8/2130012-P?searchTerm=h8+battery

I used this battery as it was the stock size for my caR based on what was in place:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...h6/2130015-P?navigationPath=L1*14920|L2*15000

To upsize, you'd need to be sure your caR has the additional mounting holes drilled:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...guys-running&p=2516820&viewfull=1#post2516820

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're planning to have it tested and then replaced, place an order online so you can use all the discounts available, then go to the store to have your battery tested. If it fails, have it replaced with the battery you ordered; if it tests out good, then cancel your online order and continue the search for the source.

Good luck! Hopefully this sorts it out for you!

Oh, there's also a step by step procedure for replacing the battery in our caRs...
http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/miscissues.htm#207347288
Sweet, yep order was placed, I got 50 bucks off thanks to you man.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Sweet, yep order was placed, I got 50 bucks off thanks to you man.
Glad to help. I love that website for finding deals. Also, I just updated the above post with a couple more links. Check them out!

·
Registered
99 Posts
check power at the dem, multiple communication and e000 faults but dem has not flagged one code. possible faulty dem, but most-likely the aoc pump went bad and blew the fuse for dem. so fault trace the 1A fault codes which is the CEM send a wake-up command on the can-bus but that module did not respond back ready. In this case the DEM/AOC

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
check power at the dem, multiple communication and e000 faults but dem has not flagged one code. possible faulty dem, but most-likely the aoc pump went bad and blew the fuse for dem. so fault trace the 1A fault codes which is the CEM send a wake-up command on the can-bus but that module did not respond back ready. In this case the DEM/AOC

So you're thinking there's a good chance it's the aoc pump versus the DEM being shot? And you're saying that some of these seemingly unrelated communication fault codes might be thrown because of the pump/DEM being shot?

An update on the battery front:
Battery is apparently perfect. Got it checked out at Advance, here's the results.

Didn't pick up the battery I bought as advised by the guy who tested it. Everything seems good here.

Working on pulling codes again since I cleared them last night but VIDA is such a piece of $hit of having a lot of reliability problems with it.
Seriously, whoever wrote that software should be tortured at the steak. Oh, it only works on a certain operating system? No problem! The user interface is like something from the early 2000's? Fine by me! It works inside of Internet Explorer instead of being a standalone program? You got the right idea kid!
Like WTF is wrong with the team that developed this software!?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Working on pulling codes again since I cleared them last night but VIDA is such a piece of $hit of having a lot of reliability problems with it.
Seriously, whoever wrote that software should be tortured at the steak. Oh, it only works on a certain operating system? No problem! The user interface is like something from the early 2000's? Fine by me! It works inside of Internet Explorer instead of being a standalone program? You got the right idea kid!

I certainly don't want to eat him, LOL!!!! I think you met Stake

Just playing with you
Matt

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I certainly don't want to eat him, LOL!!!! I think you met Stake

Just playing with you
Matt
LMAO! damn I was pretty hungry when I wrote this...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
--Update--

Finally got a working, stable install of VIDA and was able to clear codes.
Still have BCM-0094 and CEM-1A64
Also still have very rare Brake Failure Stop Safely Message.

Called Xemodex and talked to the tech guy and he walked me through a method where I unplugged the pump and then read the codes with VIDA. Because with the pump unplugged the DEM showed an error saying that the pump was faulty, he concluded that communication with the DEM still happened and that the DEM was still good but the aoc pump was faulty. Ordered a new pump/filter/oil and had it replaced. I'm still getting the same two codes -
BCM-0094 and CEM-1A64.

The AWD will occasionally work, so it does function but it keeps shutting itself off shortly after activating. Sometimes I can hear a quiet thunk in the rear when it goes out.
Anyone have any ideas? Is it possibly the BCM or do you think Xemodex is wrong and the DEM is actually damaged?

Just took a drive in the snow after the car had been left for a couple hours and no anti-skid service required message. AWD was working for about 10 minutes and then I got the message. It was then FWD only for another 5 minutes and then AWD kicked backed in for a short amount of time before going back to FWD only. WTF is wrong lol.

-Update-
AWD resolved check first post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts