SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a low mileage XC60 T6. I am torn between 2013 and 2014.

I like the 2014 for: Paddle shifters and front end update, but am worried about the "stop neutral" in the 2014 transmission.
I like the 2013 for: Cheaper, with more options.

What would those in the know do???

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Audeo, if you trust and believe in Consumer reports, keep away from the 2014, it received very bad reliability report. go with the 2013.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have no experience with the CPO warranty but does it cover the transmission? Which one has lower miles and/or in better condition? Good luck, I'm sure either would work out fine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Audeo, if you trust and believe in Consumer reports, keep away from the 2014, it received very bad reliability report. go with the 2013.
Thanks! I don't quite have that much faith with CR, but my wife does. The 2013 looks like the ticket...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Aude, I guess one has to take information with a grain of salt, and I'm sure there are reliable 2014 Xc60's out there. But they get their information form owners. I asked CR about, I was very surprised that it had such bad reliability report, they told me that they sent surveys to (i believe) approx 1 mil people.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, the "expert" at the Volvo dealer told me that only Drive-E motors with the 8-spd tranny have the Neutral Stop feature. Can anyone corroborate whether this is true?

I'd love a 2014, but not if it has the Neutral Stop...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If you by "neutral stop" mean stop/start then no 6-cyl T6 ever got that.

As for 2013 vs 2014 I definitely think all 2014s look way better though in the end I think I'd rather have which-ever car has xenons, keyless drive and ventilated seats. They add much more comfort. You are after all going to spend most of your time getting in and out of the car as well as behind the wheel, not on the outside.

Edit: I'm not so sure what's different mechanically between a 2013 or 2014 T6 anyway. Same engine, same haldex 5 AWD (I believe it was introduced with MY13 anyway). I think the gearbox is faster on the 2014 actually since the 0-100 km/h time is 7,3 s for the 13 and 6,9 s for the 14. Engine is untouched, I'm fairly certain. Still the same pretty sturdy AW-TF80 SC gearbox, six speed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I went to buy my used XC60, I also liked the styling of the 2014 and considered it a lot. But I similarly found a 2013 T6 AWD that had all the options and color I wanted. I am VERY happy with the 2013 and glad I purchased it. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just test drove a 2014 T6. I liked the paddle shifters A LOT.

BUT, in Sport Mode without the paddles, the upshifts are very harsh. This car had 15k miles. When at a stop light, the transmission would appear to go into neutral, unless shifting in Sport Mode with the paddles (in Regular mode fuel economy would go from MPG to .5 --> .3 GPH). I didn't notice any harshness from stop, but every upshift had a noticeable jerk in Sport mode. Regular Mode seemed ok.

The tech I spoke to at Herb Gordon denied that there was a neutral stop feature, except in the new 8-speeds with Drive-e. I am trying to find clarification on this, but according to wikipedia the TF-80SC is designed for this feature.

And from a different thread about the Advanced Quick-Shift:

I'm glad I could help. With regard to differences between the transmissions, especially the program updates within the TCM software... I wouldn't be too sad about it. The new transmission seems to shift more harshly in both normal and sport settings than the 2013s I've driven. And the MY14+'s neutral stop feature has been a nightmare when pulling away from stops and while driving in stop and go traffic. The bang shifts are disheartening and I'm almost conviced now that I have a bad transmission from the factory (courtesy cars haven't exhibited this exact behaviour). I'm about to be on my 8th visit (frankly I've almost lost count) for the transmission/surge/vibration issues, each time we are able to replicate the issue but so far Volvo hasn't considered the transmission or valve housing for replacement. I guess what I'm saying is that Volvo has a reputation for mucking up transmissions with their programming and physical modifications (think back to the AW55 transmissions). I really believe that they pushed the Gen 2 out before they had a chance to really work out the driveability issues created by the physical enhancements. All of the 2014 and 2015 XC60s and V60s I've driven have shifted rougher than the 2013s I've driven. I think in this case Gen 1 owners may have dodged a future reliability issue. Hopefully Volvo will learn from the mistakes of the AW55 era and remove the neutral stop feature from all Gen 2 TF-80SC transmissions before valve bodies start failing.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
I really like the paddles on my '15.5, shame they did away with them for '16.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like the paddles on my '15.5, shame they did away with them for '16.
Awesome. How does your '15.5 shift in automatic Drive and Sport Modes?

·
Registered
126 Posts
With my '15.5 there is a noticeable difference in shifting between normal and sport modes. The sport mode shifts can be jerky, enough to be a concern. I just use the paddles now instead.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With my '15.5 there is a noticeable difference in shifting between normal and sport modes. The sport mode shifts can be jerky, enough to be a concern. I just use the paddles now instead.
Hopefully a future TCM update can help this some? Is your software up to date?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts