SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Got a bit of a problem. I will "try" to be brief…Looking for some guidance on what to try next… here is the background info:

• -Bought the car about a year ago (2006 V70R, Auto) .
  • -Over the first 11 months, I had the car “temporarily” refuse to start (2) times (once about 9 months ago, once about 2 months ago). All electrical worked fine (windows, radio had full power), but the car did not even attempt to turn over. Not cranking at all. Then, all of a sudden after a minute or 2 of nothing, it would just start up like it was normal.
  • -This past week the same thing happened again (2 times within 4 days). Both times had the same symptoms. First time was trying to leave work around 4:30PM.. Second time was after lunch yesterday (drove the car in the morning and to lunch with no problem).

At this point, I figure its probably the immobilizer (although the message screen was always blank, no immobilizer messages). Like before, it eventually started.

Now comes today...Got to work in the AM fine. However, when I went to go to the gym over lunch, it would not start again. And this time it never started. I do hear an audible “click”, but there is no attempt to turn over. Again, full elec. power…And now its stranded at work..

So here is what I already tried this afternoon:
  1. -Used the other key. No success
  2. -Disconnected the battery for a good 3 hours. No success
  3. -Looked for and tried to wiggle the starter wire (at least I hope I got the right wire). No success.
  4. -Tried the 5 time lock/unlock trick 5 that will “supposedly” clear or bypass the immobilizer issue temporarily – no success
  5. -Looked for visible ground or wire issues – looks fine

I didn’t have any tools or supplies at work so this was the extent of what I could try. Here is what I want to try tomorrow.

1. -Check battery voltage (though its symptoms don’t seem like a bad battery, at least that would try to crank, right?)
  2. -Try a jump start (again, doesn’t seem like the issue, but worth a try)
  3. -Hit the starter – read somewhere this could help.

I read somewhere about testing the starter solenoid, but can’t seem to find where I read it :( anyone have this info (maybe with pics, I am a visual learner :) )…

Can anyone else think of something to try? Anything?

Thanks in advance
Jody

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sounds like youhave covered most recommended actions.
Since it is an automatic, it could be the neutral safety switch. When holding the key in a start position, try wiggling the shift lever.
Do you get any message on the DIM when it will not start?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like youhave covered most recommended actions.
Since it is an automatic, it could be the neutral safety switch. When holding the key in a start position, try wiggling the shift lever.
Do you get any message on the DIM when it will not start?
I can also try wiggling the lever tommorrow too, worth a shot.... thanks

"No message" appears on the screen to the lower left of the cluster (I assume this is the DIM, I am still earning the terminology for volvos :)

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Very odd. Though to me it sounds like the immobilizer is toast.

Anyone near you with VIDA/DiCE??

·
Registered
157 Posts
you have this immo. ring around where you put your key in, that part is probably toast. it's been a common problem in norway. not a expensive part luckily.
think the name is antenna ring around the ignition.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Likely the antenna is no good, or the actual ignition switch...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had this same issue last year with my 06 SR. There was a Immobilizer software update that my indy performed and it hasn't happened since. When was the last time you had any software updates installed?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Update? Mine just started doing this. If I'm not mistaken every time it occurred the immobilizer (antenna?) ring where you insert the key was not illuminated. We'll see, I'm paying attention to it every time I start the car. Also bought a new battery for my fob, maybe that was the problem but I'm using the service key for a while to see if it will occur with that. My thoughts are no battery in service key means no signal for immobilizer to receive; no problem to occur.

·
Registered
157 Posts
the light around the ignition hole has nothing to do with the immo antenna ring, and the transponder in the key get it's power from the immo antenna ring. the immo antenna ring creates a magnetic field around the key and give the transponder power and then it will transmit.
the battery is only for opening and locking the car. the service key won't unlock/fit the glove box and the trunk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 06 R MT and had the same problem. Tried all the fixes listed above and found that the relay in the relay/fuse box was the issue. It was replaced by Volvo and worked for over one year. Did it again and this time I just removed the relay and re-inserted it adn it started fine. Has been fine for the last 2 months. I am not sure what the issue is but give this a try and see if it starts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is there a write up to replace this antenna?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts