SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the only thing i dont like about the 0 switch position is the headlights being on. now that i have DRL disabled i dont like that the fogs dont work and the city lights arent on (doing the angel eyes mod).

if you look at the back of the headlight switch there are a **** ton of wires there. ive probed them with a meter and there are a few that have voltage only in the 0 position. therefore i am willing to bet that i can find and snip the right wire that controls only the signal to have the low beams on in the 0 position.

any ideas how to find this wire?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Just ideas running through my head....

This is what I went by for installing my gauges. I'm not sure which wire is for the fog lights, but I would think that if you connected the fog wires to the wire that's only live with the ignition, you'd have the fog lights on at all times in any position.

If it doesn't work, it's not like it's hard to connect two wires back together.

There's also an option to run a wire to the ignition power source in the power seats. See here. But keeping everything near the light switch is probably easiest.

^^With those links, just imagine your fog lights are a boost gauge that needs power when the car is on.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
the only thing i dont like about the 0 switch position is the headlights being on. now that i have DRL disabled i dont like that the fogs dont work and the city lights arent on (doing the angel eyes mod).

if you look at the back of the headlight switch there are a **** ton of wires there. ive probed them with a meter and there are a few that have voltage only in the 0 position. therefore i am willing to bet that i can find and snip the right wire that controls only the signal to have the low beams on in the 0 position.

any ideas how to find this wire?
Wiring diagrams can be found here: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-wiring-diagrams

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
That links no good anymore, does anyone having a headlight wiring diagram? I need to know which cable powers the DRL's

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Im looking for the one that is a constant power to the headlights so i can splice in the fog lights.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
That links no good anymore, does anyone having a headlight wiring diagram? I need to know which cable powers the DRL's
You can download the EWD, Electrical Wiring Diagram in an ISO file and then write it to a double density DVD Then, you can find all the diagrams for your car using Acrobat Reader. Download from HERE
Follow this link to get VIDA and run the EWD in there, and get all the workshop directions while you're at it:

Reactions: lookforjoe

·
Registered
82 Posts
On a related electrical note, if anybody knows:
In a p1 halogen headlight, I've replaced the regular halogen projectors with bi-xenon projectors, but I'm using Hikari LED H7 bulbs (so I don't have any xenon ballasts currently). The new bi-xenon projectors have these two additional tiny wires that control the "high beam" metal thingy.
Can I just connect (like cut and weld the wires) the 2 projector high-beam wires to the 2 wires that are plugged in the original housing high-beam bulb, so I'll have 4 high beam bulbs?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
On a related electrical note, if anybody knows:
In a p1 halogen headlight, I've replaced the regular halogen projectors with bi-xenon projectors, but I'm using Hikari LED H7 bulbs (so I don't have any xenon ballasts currently). The new bi-xenon projectors have these two additional tiny wires that control the "high beam" metal thingy.
Can I just connect (like cut and weld the wires) the 2 projector high-beam wires to the 2 wires that are plugged in the original housing high-beam bulb, so I'll have 4 high beam bulbs?
Did you get or make a skbowe filter? To prevent damage to the CEM?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Im looking for the one that is a constant power to the headlights so i can splice in the fog lights.
Look at the diagram - 3/111 is the headlight switch. The point is, on these cars, all the switches are just triggers for relays controlled and contained in the CEM. If you have pulled the switch you can see the wires and pins are not load carrying circuits.

F58 & F59 are the fuses that feed the headlamp assemblies, and those are powered via 2/63 relay, which is part of the CEM

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you get or make a skbowe filter? To prevent damage to the CEM?

Nope, the LEDs don't seem to draw enough current (I get the bulb failure warning message), unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi, not to hjiack anything. Any suggestions on LED bulbs to replace the yellowish H11 stock? I presume we have to replace high and low beam? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Look at the diagram - 3/111 is the headlight switch. The point is, on these cars, all the switches are just triggers for relays controlled and contained in the CEM. If you have pulled the switch you can see the wires and pins are not load carrying circuits.

F58 & F59 are the fuses that feed the headlamp assemblies, and those are powered via 2/63 relay, which is part of the CEM
You have to forgive me as I’m not as electrically sound as you are, are you saying F58&59 can be used to power the fog lights too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, not to hjiack anything. Any suggestions on LED bulbs to replace the yellowish H11 stock? I presume we have to replace high and low beam? Thanks!
I'm using Hikari H7 Ultra Eye of Megatron for my low beams. It's a night and day difference compared to stock halogens, the high beams are still stock halogens and they barely add any light to the road on top of the LEDs. They have the "bulb warning" though.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You have to forgive me as I’m not as electrically sound as you are, are you saying F58&59 can be used to power the fog lights too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory. Those are the ones feeding the headlights.

Since these cars are prewired for fogs, for a factory look, all you need is the H/L switch with the foglight button (in the blank spot next to the gas door), and then to energize the fog relay in the CEM you have to add a relay to ground the circuit, or buy the software.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts