SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a fast wagon for highway driving. In the next few years my family (2 adults, 1 infant for now, and one 50lb dog) need a car that can haul all of us around Ontario safely and confortably, and most importantly, it has to be fast.

Really, I have figured out that I am not interested in taking corners quickly or track days or anything of that sort, but instead I just need a competent left lane cruiser that is stealthy. It has to be an auto, AWD would be nice, but certainly not necessary. I don't care about bells and whistles, a basic car is OK with me.

Here are my questions.

How would a chipped '07 V70 2.5t compare to an '07 VR for highway driving. IPD claims 260hp out of the chipped 2.5t, which isn't far off the R's claimed 300hp, and also would be slightly lighter due to no AWD.

Also, would a chipped 2.5t AWD be any less reliable then an R, or is the R's AWD system beefed up to handle the extra power?

And further more, a chipped '07 2.5t FWD puts out the similar numbers to an '05 V70 T5. How would they compare on the highway? What makes me shy away from the V70 T5 is that the last year for it was '05, making the car already 4 years old.

Basically I want the highway capabilities of my old 854 T5M in wagon form, but I want to minimize trips to the dealer if possbile.

So do I go for a 4 year old T5, an '06-'07 VR GT and deal with the maintenance costs, or get a lowly 2.5t and chip it? (and if so, AWD of not?)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Need fast wagon advice (andru365)

If I had to guess, I'd say that the chipped 2.5T AWD would have a lower cost of ownership, if only because of the 4C system on the R and its very expensive struts. It should be a pretty satisfying driver with a stage 1 ECU upgrade.

I want to say the angle gear on the R is a modestly tougher one than on the 2.5T, but someone would have to confirm that. If you're doing mostly highway driving and no peal outs from a stop, the wear and tear on the angle gear should be minimal, since you won't be engaging the rear wheels all that often.

I'd need more seat time in an LPT to be able to tell you how a chipped (LPT) 2.5T would differ from a (HPT) T5. All I know is that my T5 keeps a smile on my face. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So what are the main differences drivetrain wise between an '05 T5 and say an '06-'07 2.5t FWD. Do 2.5t have the same traction control as the T5s? Also, don't 05 T5s have 4c too?

Would a chipped LPT feel faster off the line, but lose out to a T5 on the highway?

My old 854 HPT had some turbo lag but really took off like crazy at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Quote, originally posted by andru365 »
So what are the main differences drivetrain wise between an '05 T5 and say an '06-'07 2.5t FWD. Do 2.5t have the same traction control as the T5s? Also, don't 05 T5s have 4c too?

At least in the US, DSTC became standard on all cars around MY2005. 4C was an option on T5's after the facelift, not standard.

Quote, originally posted by andru365 »
Would a chipped LPT feel faster off the line, but lose out to a T5 on the highway?

Probably. As with your 850, the T5 can take a little while to spool up, then really pours it on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts