SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2015 (technically it's a 2015.5) XC60 with 93,000 miles on it. I bought it used (with 36,000 miles on it at time of purchase) and am the second owner. I have had all regular services performed while I have owned the car. Last week, it suddenly became completely unusable. Turns out the engine has to be replaced completely, costing more than the car is worth. The reason: loss of compression in one of the cylinders. I am now having to go get a new car. I love Volvos! The safety and aesthetic design of the cars appeal to me. And, to be honest, I kind of just want to get another XC60. But I don't want to get burned again. I estimate I lost $9,000 due to this engine failure. And two independent mechanics I went to for second opinions told me to stay away from Volvo for reliability reasons. Yet I'm thinking of buying a Certified Pre-Owned 2016 XC60 because, well, it's the car that I liked the best.

I'm hoping to get thoughts and experiences from people who know Volvos about the longevity that one SHOULD get from an XC60 and if this is indeed a normal lifespan for this car.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
As we speak there is a new oil classification premiering due to the issues that took out your engine and cause the same issue with some hondas, minis, bmws, audis, vws, chevies, and on and on. The low friction piston rings with low spring tension get stuck in pistons and cause oil use and compression loss. Sometimes the oil usage when heavy on one cylinder will cause detonation and spark plug will break and can cause cylinder scoring. The new oil has newly developed motor oils will be API classification SP and ILSAC grades are GF-6A and GF-6B. GF-6A meets older specs and can be used on older engines. I am unsure today whether Volvo will recommend GF-6B or the GF-6A. These oils have additives to aggressively work against the gum deposits that stick the piston rings. Many of the 4 cylinder Volvo engines like yours are going well past 150K miles now with no issues but those drivers accumulating that many miles obviously only drive long distances and that lessens gummy oil deposit formation in any engine. In any case since you had this problem your driving conditions almost assuredly do not support the 10,000 mile oil change interval and even going as long as 7500 miles may be unwise. You should find a reputable oil change place that your friends already use and get oil changes between any dealer service visits. There is a lot of effort to stretch oil change intervals to lessen inconvenience and to reduce oil waste to environment. In your case the green you save would be that $9000 loss due to lack of changing oil for a cost of $750 (estimated $80 ish for 9 additional oil changes). I have a one man (me) repair shop in a small town and I have seen a few of these (not a Volvo though) that had early engine death due to oil deposits. None of the owners thought their vehicle use was abusive but all did the longer factory interval oil changes. In Texas people like idling a car to keep air conditioner cooling while waiting for kids, watching softball or baseball or football practices and using remote start and letting it run to get heater warm. Those hours of engine use are actually higher wear than driving down the road but do not show as miles on odometer and it seems all manufacturers do not set and engine running hour count for oil changes that is as low as it should be. Milage counts usually are why most vehicles alert you to the need for oil change/service. I don't think another low mile XC60 would be a bad choice.

Oh, these new oils will have some odd viscosities. One popular one is 0W-16 that is already the oil required by Honda and Toyota for their 2.0 litre and smaller turbo 4 cylinder engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which model of your XC60? T5 or T6? If T5, 4CYL or 5CYL? I have a 2015.5 T5 2.5L 5CYL replaced piston rings at 60K under CPO. You should contact with VCNA to get your engine fixed if it is due to their design problem.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
I'm hoping to get thoughts and experiences from people who know Volvos about the longevity that one SHOULD get from an XC60 and if this is indeed a normal lifespan for this car.
You should be able to get many more miles from your car than 93k - I would have thought at least double that. Sounds like you have an early Drive E four cylinder motor. What you experienced is more common on this motor than on later versions or even the inline 6. Before scrapping the car you might want to take it to a dealer if you haven't already to get an opinion and to see if you can get some goodwill assistance on the repair. If this is the same situation as the others I've read about it's a known problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts