SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm john, i live in montreal and own a 00 s80 t6, i've done a few mods, drop kit, pegasus 18" wheels, touchscreen radio, subwoofer. Now i'm getting a custom exhaust done from after the downpipes to the tips. The get wants to go 2.5" dual into single 3" and wants to use 2 mufflers, one at the dual to single and one before the tip. My question is, if i wouldn't use any mufflers and go straight from downpipes to tip, would it be way to loud? Because with no mufflers i'd save around 400$. The whole system will be stainless, but i had a question, are the stock downpipes very restrictive, or they're not to bad? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Save your $$ and do a 2.5" or 3" from the cats back into a single muffler. You won't need the second muffler that they are recommending to you because the turbos muffle exhaust noise too. DO NOT waste your $$ on custom down pipes. The down pipe is not a bottle neck in your system - the turbos are. Any custom made DP will net you little to no gain. Knowing what I know now, I would only recommend a custom DP if you are changing the turbos too.

Straight pipe from DP to tip without a muffler won't be to loud, but does have a tendency to drone. Get a magnaflow and call it a day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's true that the turbos are tiny. Also, would I be better going dual 2.5" from downpipes to a quality muffler then 3" single to tip or go dual 2.5" to a y pipe to 3" single then to a muffler and then to tip?

·
Registered
545 Posts
It will be loud without mufflers. Turbos quiet a little but not much. I would put a Borla on there. They have a nice throaty deep tone and don't drone much. Just my .02

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what I'm looking to do is take the cats off, use twp 2.5" to a y pipe tp 3" into a muffler, then go 3" till the tip, how would that be?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actualy, you can't even go catless because the cats and the downpipes are one piece... what the f*ck? So it's either catback or custom downpipe with downpipe... so I guess I'll go custom catback

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It's true that the turbos are tiny. Also, would I be better going dual 2.5" from downpipes to a quality muffler then 3" single to tip or go dual 2.5" to a y pipe to 3" single then to a muffler and then to tip?
To get proper gas flow velocity exhausts should always go from wider to narrower. With that in mind, each of your ideas will create poor exhaust flow velocity.

If you plan on keeping the stock DP your tips would have to be 2" - 2.25"

And if you plan on keeping the stock DP there is no reason to get a new muff anyway.

"do it once, do it right"
- me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts