SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just swapped the winters off my 2.4i Automatic and saw that my right CV boot has split in two. There was still a lot of grease in the bearing and I added some extra axle grease for good measure so as to buy some time. The axle isn't making any noise.
The shop at the end of the block will replace the boot for $400, the auto parts place down the street has a right axle for $150 CAD whereas the dealership is selling one for $880 CAD.
From what I understand C30 axles are finicky and its quite easy to purchase a problematic aftermarket axle that vibrates.
So, options.
What are some reputable aftermarket sellers I should be looking at? I really don't want to spend a grand on an axle so any and all suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like you're better off getting a new boot put on your current axle (if dirt contamination hasn't destroyed it by now).

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I've had problems in the past with replacement axles from Volvo failing after only 30,000 miles. So the last time I went with Cardone Select (they are new not re-built) and I'm now at about 30,000 miles on them and they are still workin like new. At this point the replacement Volvo axles would have been vibrating unbearably.

This is on my S60 but I wouldn't hesitate to put them on the wife's c30 when the time comes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Where are you located (I'm in Ottawa) and do you know if the T5 uses the same axle than the 2.4i? I have an extra ~1year old axle since I swapped from automatic to manual AWD on mine you could have for cheap. It was not OEM volvo, DTA or something I think.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
+1 for Cardone Select on my C70 T5, actually +2...

my mechanic refused to replace my torn boot, saying 9 times out of 10 you'll be back for a new axle in no time at all anyway... the Cardone Select Axle was actually cheaper than the Volvo boot kit - 30k+ miles now on my right, did the same on the left about 10k miles ago... no issues to date

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Just put a Cardone on the left and a DSS on the right of my XC90. Both look like quality stuff and no problems installing or with driving. No major miles on them, yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As an update.

The weather finally stopped being wet and cold so I ended up just buying an axle from AutoValue for $145.

It installed relatively easily and after a week of driving I feel comfortable with the axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts