SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick roof rails for my 2010 xc60. There are two oem models:
  • Part. No. 30789025. Aluminum profile. Gives a minimum of wind noise and air drag, but some load carrier accessories must be adapted to fit the T-track.
  • Part. No. 31214946. Square profile. All load carrier accessories fit. It warns "The load carrier should not be mounted on the roof when not in use since this results in increased fuel consumption and wind noise".
I prefer 30789025 considering wind noise, but will it be a problem to mount some load carrier accessories that don't fit? Will both have problems if I choose after market roof boxes/bicycle holders?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've only used the square bars over the past 20 years. They are noisy, especially with a sunroof open, but not obnoxious depending on the car. A deflector reduces the noise quite a bit but they're still on the loud side on all the cars I've used them on.

On the XC60 I went with a hitch mounted bike rack. Even at 6'-2" the reach to the roof is more than I was comfortable with. Losing 2-4 mpg with a bike up factored into the decision also.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
really, 2-4 mpg loss due to air resistance? I would think the weight alone would be the culprit vs. air resistance.

What's the cost for the roof rails?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Tillrain - I have purchased the OEM "wing" aluminum load bars for both of our current volvos. They still create some noise, they are not silent, but they are both quieter than an old thule square-bar rack that I had years ago. As far as compatibility goes; most all roof boxes mount to the aluminum "wing" profile load bars, as most roof boxes have claws that can clamp pretty much any shape bar. Concerning other roof rack accessories, especially if you are buying new, look for ones that indicate they are compatible with factory or "euro" style crossbars, as those are wing-style bars. I have Rockymounts Euro-pitchfork roof bike racks, as they are designed to work with factory/wing shaped cross bars, and I really like them, low profile and sturdy. There are gobs of accessories that do fit factory/wing bars, however both Thule and Yakima wind fairings do not, but I know that Inno fairings do have a clamp style that fits euro/wing bars. I modified the mount/clamp of the Thule fairing to make it work with the volvo aluminum wing load bars, but that was because I wanted the Thule fairing and not the Inno.

johnee - yes, a loss of mpgs will happen with most substantial roof mounted accessories; like two bikes or a box. I have experienced 2-4 mpg loss on trips with highway mileage, winding mountain mileage does not seem to change, so purely due to wind resistance. The aluminum wing load bars should be around $200 plus/minus depending on where you purchase. I recommend these, they look way better on your rig too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts