SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a oil change and a tire rotation. Was planning on taking it to a wal-mart to have it done (tire rotation are $1.99 per wheel) but not sure if they can handle the oil change. Anyone with past experiences?

Has anyone gotten a oil change from a jiffy lube? And do they rotate tires as well?

p.s No time or space to do the oil change myself.

Thanks in advance
Andy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do it yourself? If so, what besides the right socket, oil filter and oil would I need to do it? What is a crush washer?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: oil change for T5

I had jiffy lube change the oil in my T5 at 2,500 miles. Upgraded to synthetic oil for an extra $30. They didn't have any problem changing the oil or filter.

(At the free 7,500 mile service the dealer would use synthetic oil, but for an extra $100--more than jiffy lube charged for the whole service! Even the service manager thought it was a ridiculous amount to charge.)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Re: oil change for T5 (steverino)

Buy the synthetic oil and bring it with you. You can get six qts of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $25. Then you'll only be paying $25 at the 7500 mile free service.

G

·
Re: need advice oil change (T5special)

Stay away from J**** Lube. Long story short they neglected to put back the drain plug and I leaked 5 quarts of oil from my old car. I got that fixed, cleaned up a lake of engine oil, got my car towed to a garage, and got a new oil change. The a few hundred miles later my engine died so I had to ditch the car and buy a new one.

Bottom Line: Sometimes a simple job can turn into disaster. I'll pay a few extra bucks for my peace of mind.

Oh yeah and bring your own synthetic.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: need advice oil change (vlv4life)

Totally agree, especially for a car like Volvo. Those fast-lube places are a game of Russian Roulette.

Your car's better off with the oil it has, and the parts it has. It comes back from them with neither.

Tom.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Re: need advice oil change (tmtalpey)

i actually had the same problem with my older nissan. the plug came loose after i left the shop (jiffylube). my cousin owns a shop, so i just go to him. our volvo's are abitch for do-it-yourselfers.

p.s., i don't trust my dealers, either. they use crappy chevron oil. im a loyalist to castrol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: need advice oil change (T5special)

I just had my Volvo dealer perform the following services on my'05 V50 AWD 6 speed:
1) Changed oil using Mobil 1 10-30 supplied by me
2) Rotated tires (10,00 miles on the clock)
3) Annual NYS Inspection
I am pleased with the courteous, speedy service. I made an appointment and was taken early and got out in 1 hour.
Cost was $99.00 and change which I think was raesonable. I looked at was involved in changing the oil in this vehicle, when I had the 1st oil change done, I decided to have Volvo do the service. Realize the cowl under the engine and ductwork under the hood must be removed in order to change the oil. Why take a chance! As far as tire rotation goes, let Volvo worry about the torque on the wheel bolts.
You spent in the area of $30k for the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: need advice oil change (volvogram)

Quote, originally posted by volvogram »
I just had my Volvo dealer perform the following services on my'05 V50 AWD 6 speed:
1) Changed oil using Mobil 1 10-30 supplied by me
2) Rotated tires (10,00 miles on the clock)
3) Annual NYS Inspection
I am pleased with the courteous, speedy service. I made an appointment and was taken early and got out in 1 hour.
Cost was $99.00 and change which I think was raesonable.

Just curious how much the state inspection runs in NY. Your oil change should have been free (not including the oil you purchased), and I'm guessing the tire rotation ran $35 or so. So that would make the inspection $60-$70... ouch!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: need advice oil change (mullmann)

Hi Mullman,
Greetings from the Big Apple! Thanks for noticing, they charged me:
labor $16.95, a filter $13.49, gasket $2.03, rotation and weights $49.95 Inspection was $10.00. and they shouldn't have done so. I'll call them for a refund right now (I got up at 5:00 a.m. to be at the dealer at 8:00 a.m.-2 hour drive to up state N.Y.) I was definitely half asleep and in a rush haven't checked the bill since i left the dealership. This isn't their fault, should have been more careful.
Next time you're in NYC I owe you a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Yikes Mullman, I forgot!
This was not a regularly scheduled oil change-I had that one (the 7500 mile interval was done at 6500 miles). I had to pay for this one as it was at 10,000 miles. I'll get the next one, 15000 mile, parts and labor free. I'll still buy you a cup of coffee next time you're in NYC.

·
Registered
78 Posts

One more thing,
car is registered in upstaTe ny-no smog/emissions test-inspection is more in NYC-I think about $35.00.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up going to a dealership for my oil change (last free one), and found out a rock busted through the plastic covering undernerth the car, and bent the air inlet pipe for the turbo, it also caused the rubber hose connecting the pipe and the turbo to crease and restrict air flow. Not sure if a Jiffy lube would have caught it, but at least it didn't ruin the turbo.

Andy

G

·
Re: (T5special)

Once your car comes off warranty build a relationship with an independent shop that specializes in Volvos. Their eyes will catch things that will ultimately save you much more than the premium you pay for their time. Just my two cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts