SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had originally planned on buying the S60, but the XC60 caught my eye when I was at the dealership. Plus, I liked the idea of sitting a little higher and having more space in the back. I originally was fine with the 3.2 with the platinum package, but have now moved towards the T6 with platinum, climate, tech, dynamic and blis thanks to my husband's visit with me. Pricing this car out on the website, it is about $50,800. I have found the exact vehicle (2012) with all these options, metallic paint and they are quoting me a little less than 46k not including destination, fees, etc... With all the fees, tags, etc.. I'm at about 47,500 plus taxes. I'm wondering if I have any room to negotiate on this price. Also, they are offering the Zurich 10 year, 100k mile comprehensive warranty for 3600. I am leaning towards no on that, but with all the technology features, I'm wondering if it might be worth considering it.

Or do you think for 2k more it might be worth it to wait and do the overseas delivery and get a 2013?

Any suggestions and input are welcome. I've only purchased a car alone once before, so, I feel a little lost.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Joy,
We recently just made the purchase on the XC60 T6 with platinum and all the package w/o technology and it was about 44k. We didn't get the technology package bc we dont really need it for city driving, (we live in Brooklyn NY) we do not do enough high way driving for the adoptive cruise control. We did ended up going with the every warranty offer there is... the 10 year, Zurich/ Dent, key replacement, tire and wheel replacement for 5 yrs and our grand total was 53K with everything.. tags, deliver blah blah blah.

I think the base price for the 2013 will go up just a little bit... i mean, you will always save if you buy the current model (whatever is avail at the dealership).

I would suggest go with the current model as i know there are not going to be any changes for the 2013 model and put towards the money you save onto something else in the future... like 1500 for the polestar upgrade or some heico sportive aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I had originally planned on buying the S60, but the XC60 caught my eye when I was at the dealership. Plus, I liked the idea of sitting a little higher and having more space in the back. I originally was fine with the 3.2 with the platinum package, but have now moved towards the T6 with platinum, climate, tech, dynamic and blis thanks to my husband's visit with me. Pricing this car out on the website, it is about $50,800. I have found the exact vehicle (2012) with all these options, metallic paint and they are quoting me a little less than 46k not including destination, fees, etc... With all the fees, tags, etc.. I'm at about 47,500 plus taxes. I'm wondering if I have any room to negotiate on this price. Also, they are offering the Zurich 10 year, 100k mile comprehensive warranty for 3600. I am leaning towards no on that, but with all the technology features, I'm wondering if it might be worth considering it.

Or do you think for 2k more it might be worth it to wait and do the overseas delivery and get a 2013?

Any suggestions and input are welcome. I've only purchased a car alone once before, so, I feel a little lost.
I can't answer the BIG question, but we plan on making an OSD purchase late summer '13(hopefully for a '14 XC60). It will be our first OSD(REALLY should have done at least one already!). If the 2012 is exactly what you NOW want(these things change, doncha know ;) ), a shade under $46 for an almost $51K vehicle sounds pretty good. Be sure you are comparing the actual drive-away costs of each vehicle. Some sales folks will use a +++ number to show a lower price of vehicle 'X' and only a + number for comparison to another vehicle. In other words, PLUS tax, title , tags on one vehicle...and then, under their breath, will quote a 'plus tags and title' price on another (oops...left out that pesky TAX or destination charge on that quote!!!). We're talking hundreds or thousands of dollars difference.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a 'warranty extension' that cost 7% of the MSRP. Just my opinion, but could you really foresee a warranty claim for that amount after the 5/60 warranty runs out? Better yet, could you invest that money and have a WHOLE bunch more by the time you 'might' make a claim?

I vote for the OSD of a new model UNLESS you REALLY like the '12 you've been looking at.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Joy,
We recently just made the purchase on the XC60 T6 with platinum and all the package w/o technology and it was about 44k. We didn't get the technology package bc we dont really need it for city driving, (we live in Brooklyn NY) we do not do enough high way driving for the adoptive cruise control. We did ended up going with the every warranty offer there is... the 10 year, Zurich/ Dent, key replacement, tire and wheel replacement for 5 yrs and our grand total was 53K with everything.. tags, deliver blah blah blah.

I think the base price for the 2013 will go up just a little bit... i mean, you will always save if you buy the current model (whatever is avail at the dealership).

I would suggest go with the current model as i know there are not going to be any changes for the 2013 model and put towards the money you save onto something else in the future... like 1500 for the polestar upgrade or some heico sportive aftermarket parts.
Do you notice a difference with the Dynamic option? I tried it out a bit on the test drive, but couldn't tell what it did exactly. My husband wants a comfortable ride since he's mostly the passenger. :) I'm thinking 47k with all my fees minus taxes isn't bad since I'm going with metallic paint and the tech package compared to what you paid. Hmmm...

·
Registered
332 Posts
You prob didn't notice the difference is because you didn't turn the car off then back on.
Example, if you are currently driving in "sport" mode, you can go ahead and select "comfort" mode. Nevertheless, the car wont switch to "comfort" mode until you restart the car. I know its kind of tricky, bc you'd think you'll be able to select the modes while your car is on and it will switch right the way but it doesn't.

You will notice a big difference between all the modes. Sport is default and advance is really aggressive, you will "feel" all the bumps and the road.
Comfort is really like riding on cloud, however, its not like riding on the boat if you know what i mean. For me, its totally worth it bc my girlfriend likes to drive in "Comfort" and "Sport". When i am by myself fighting traffic or just wanna put a grin on my face, i go "advance".

Yeah 47K is really not a bad deal at all... its a volvo after all and it is quality with awesome warranty. I agree with Coachrick.. unless you plan on a nice vacation and do the OSD for 2013 or 2014 model, perhaps this 2012 metallic xc60 T6 is calling your name.

·
Premium Member
2021 XC90 T8 Inscription Recharge, 2021 XC40 T5 Momentum
21 Posts
I just purchased and xc60 all loaded with every goodie possible and I LOVE every option. So far, I agree with all of the above posts. Looks like a good deal, I too would pause on the warranty, although I did buy an extended warranty for much less the cost you were quoted. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I just purchased and xc60 all loaded with every goodie possible and I LOVE every option. So far, I agree with all of the above posts. Looks like a good deal, I too would pause on the warranty, although I did buy an extended warranty for much less the cost you were quoted. Good luck!
Congrats. What color? From Borton or Kline?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a XC60 R-Design a week and a half ago and got around $5k off of the MSRP not including tax, tags, etc. I found a huge difference in how much each dealer was willing to give and ended up driving 480 miles away to get the exact car I wanted at a great price. I didn't get the extended warranty because I think they are rarely a good deal. I would rather save the same amount of money in an interest bearing account and then use it to buy the next car if I don't need to use it to get the car repaired!

I agonized for weeks about doing overseas delivery on a 2013 in September and finally decided that the deal I was going to get on the 2012 was better for me at this moment than a EU vacation. It is very much an individual situation, but with the exchange rates and general high cost of the Nordic countries it wasn't where I needed to spend my money this year and I was at the point where I had to get a new car in the next six months. I absolutely love my car, have put over 1,000 miles on it in 1.5 weeks. It's my first Volvo, but hope for more and will do the OSD at some point.

Forgot to say that I came into the car buying process stuck on wagons or sedans. I never, ever thought I would own a SUV, but liked the XC60 better than the wagons I was looking at. I am already in love with the ride height and being a little more visible on the road. Plus, threw a 30 gallon fish tank and stand in the back to donate last weekend and it fit! I wouldn't have been able to get either part in my old car. The utility is going to be fantastic.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would tell them you want a $1000 less and it will be a done deal (assuming you are a serious buyer)...my guess is they will say "Sorry, this is the best we can do". At which point you walk...and wait a few days for them to call you back and cave. Worked for me.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would tell them you want a $1000 less and it will be a done deal (assuming you are a serious buyer)...my guess is they will say "Sorry, this is the best we can do". At which point you walk...and wait a few days for them to call you back and cave. Worked for me.
After spending most of the morning at a dealership (years ago, before cell phones), I got that call before I made it home--twenty minutes max ;) . I also had a salesperson drive to my apartment in the prospective new car and wait for me to show up! Neither exactly met my proposal, but both were more 'flexible', shall we say.

Wait until the last few days of the month and see how anxious they are to make bonus!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
'ski, I just realized what your sig was 'saying'...I think it will be quite interesting to hear your comments comparing your two vehicles over time. We've been a wagon/CUV and convertible couple for a few years but a CUV vs SUV comparo would be enlightening, I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sitting higher is a much better experience, so the XC60 (which is very popular in Europe) is a great choice. I bought mine on Father's Day last summer, then waited for OSD in mid-Oct. The delay was because of the Japanese components, bad year for the Asian producers.

The R-design is the best they offer. It's comfortable for anyday driving (with others) and is a real joy when you get away on your own. The OSD program is well organized and who can turn down a drive anywhere in Europe. Spend two weeks all over the place and give an extra 100 Euro or so to drop it most anywhere in Europe before coming home. You will have to wait a little while ;) to take delivery in the US (if that is your home), but there is NO hassle on anything.

And, yes, by the way. The price is what is listed, even discounted for OSD. So don't expect room for 'negotiation'. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are serious. I just don't know if I want the '13 at a little higher price or this one. I asked him if he can do any better on the price, but he's off today, so, I don't expect an answer until Monday. If he goes down 1k more, it will be a done deal this week. :) I just hope I don't regret getting the black (sapphire) on black. I never saw myself in a black vehicle until this one! I wanted it to look a little more elegant. Although, the red in the R design is pretty amazing. If only I didn't have a lead foot already.

·
Registered
222 Posts

I bought a OSD MY12 T6 with tech, BLIS, platinum, climate and dynamic plus an OSD-only wood inlay for $47800 in September of 2011.

By comparison, it seems your car has metallic paint and mine didn't. So, it's about a wash.

I think it's a good deal at $47500 if you like the car. But you can probably get a better price by negotiating. What was the production date? You can tell the month and year it was produced from the VIN label on the driver's door jamb. If they've had a while, they want to get it off their floor plan. Remember, fees are negotiable, even though they'd rather die than admit it to you. The destination isn't, however.

We got a trip to Sweden (in December! See my post here about that: http://www.yobyot.com/cars/we-pick-up-tricias-new-car-in-sweden/2011/12/02/) in our price.

Re: your comments on the 4C, please search this board for posts from me. I wrote a (typically snarky) comment about 4C. My summation of 4C? Meh.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
We are serious. I just don't know if I want the '13 at a little higher price or this one. I asked him if he can do any better on the price, but he's off today, so, I don't expect an answer until Monday. If he goes down 1k more, it will be a done deal this week. :) I just hope I don't regret getting the black (sapphire) on black. I never saw myself in a black vehicle until this one! I wanted it to look a little more elegant. Although, the red in the R design is pretty amazing. If only I didn't have a lead foot already.
The black is absolutely spectacular on the showroom floor or in the bright sunlight(immediately after it's been detailed :) ). I couldn't do black here in central Texas with all the construction dust blowing(in addition to the 'normal' limestone dust in the air) constantly. That red is also an outstanding color...hard to sneak up on anyone, though ;) !

If you wait for the dealer to call you, hold your ground for this next week. I'll bet they become more flexible in the final week of the month! You seem to have some reservations about the black '12. Holding on to your price will help assuage any pangs of buyer's remorse. When you see a red one in a few months, tell yourself what you used that extra $$$ for.

Good luck with your decision. It's a safe bet you will enjoy the one you get!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Like all the guys are advising, ALWAYS shop for a car at the end of the month. Salespersons set quotas for the month. As the month draws to a close they are eager to make their projections. You will be more likely to get a reasonable deal at the end of the month. The price you've said for the T6 with all the features sounds amazing. I researched this car nine ways to Sunday in every configuration imaginable when we were deciding on our OSD order. I did go with the 3.2 b/c coming off of a Honda CR-V, I felt that engine gave me enough power PLUS I am also a lead foot and didn't need to contribute to any municipality's annual fund. I find this engine smooth, if not as responsive off the mark as I'd like. We just got ours stateside on May 22, and it has loosened a bit, so feels a bit more peppy than at first.

DO NOT BUY THE WARRANTY they are selling. You get a five year one that includes wear and tear. I think it boils down to: OSD vs GREAT deal now. The black sapphire in the XC60 is stunning. Remember with OSD, you order months in advance, go "pick her up" (Boy is it FUN!!) then have to wait 6 weeks more before it arrives. OSD is a wonderful experience and my husband and I are already planning our second one - trying to decide when and WHAT vehicle :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
If I were leasing (and turning it at the end) I would just get the 2012. If buying, I would strongly consider a 2013 as you are likely to get that back on the back-end . I'm in this same dilemma myself on another car I am looking to get given the time of year. I am strongly considering a lease on that one (but not positive yet).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pretty sure we are picking up the vehicle this weekend if all goes well! I'll have to save the trip to Sweden for another time. Saving about 3k off the OSD price seems to be worth it. Although, I was really looking forward to another European vacation! We'll just have to wait for the winter or something for that. I didn't negotiate much more off, but a little... Now, I need to decide which accessories if any I want. I'm thinking of the rubber mats, but not sure what else.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Pretty sure we are picking up the vehicle this weekend if all goes well! I'll have to save the trip to Sweden for another time. Saving about 3k off the OSD price seems to be worth it. Although, I was really looking forward to another European vacation! We'll just have to wait for the winter or something for that. I didn't negotiate much more off, but a little... Now, I need to decide which accessories if any I want. I'm thinking of the rubber mats, but not sure what else.
Congrats on the decision. Nothing like saving a few bucks on vehicles priced north of $45K :) . We didn't purchased many accessories since the vehicle is so well equipped; but some sort of cargo area cover is a great addition. We have the plastic/vinyl cargo floor cover but some of the others look very nice. We use aftermarket all-weather mats...I just couldn't pull the trigger on the official rubber mats or WeatherTech, but I'm weird like that ;) .

Which S&S package are you getting ? 5/60 is a nice set-up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts