SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the problems I am having matching up an ignition lock with my Volvo 144, I am leary about buying the correct part for other things I need. Pistorman is offering me a gas tank sending unit he pulled off his 74 Volvo series car. Would that work on my 1969 144? Volvo made various changes to the 144 since 1969, like the ignition lock that changed in 1973. Should
I be concerned about this 1974 part?

Sherwin

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sherwin here is this one. I don't now if it fits your car. Its from my 1974 142, I have a new tank and a new sender. If this works for you, I sent you a private message.

This is a Smiths sender.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got one that I pulled from a pre-'73, though not sure of year. I'll cross check some #s tonight and see what it will fit.....appears as new

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
John,

The -70 one and the 71-73 one look identical. The difference is the size of the piece that has the connector attached to it and which screws onto the fuel tank. The earlier one is smaller. Hopefully, there'll be a # stamped on it that'll make it possible to determine which one it is. If it ends up being the wrong one for Sherwin, then it'd be the correct one that I'm in need of, so please let me know if that ends up being the case. Also, if necessary, I can measure mine if that ends up being the only way to determine which one it is.

Stan

·
Registered
328 Posts

Sherwin's got dibs, if it fits....its 4164's if it doesn't.

$100 shipped

Okay....scandcar.nl shows this and it looks to be the larger diameter. They list as no longer available.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
687826 is the '71-'72 sender. I have no idea how it differs from the -'70 sender, which is 676912. Could be easily adapted, or not...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sherwin,

The one listed in the IPD link (Volvo part # 676912) is the correct one for your vehicle. 687826 would be too large. I noticed that IPD shows 0 of these on hand and no specific lead time if ordered. Here's a link to an overseas place that shows the item, though the situation could end up being the same - http://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/parts.asp?carID=4&cID=73&scID=288.

John,

I'll be PM'ing you regarding your 687826.

Thanks,

Stan

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi,

Several times I repaired such a sender. I opened it and than cleaned the resistor wire with copper polish. Most of the time the sender fail there is to much oxidation on the resistor wire causing such a high resitance that it does not work anymore.

Regards,

Mathieu.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only 2 failed ones I've ever seen had broken wires where the contact slides across them. You can see the wear that leads to this failure in the top picture in post #7, though its good to know there's another place to check that might be readily "repairable", based on what Mathieu (who's input I regard highly!) has indicated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mathieu,

In thinking a little more about what you said, I'm guessing when this circumstance occurs, you get no reading at all at the fuel gauge. Is that correct?

With the broken wire scenario I've encountered, the gauge will still work for certain ranges, such as when the tank is anywhere from full to 1/2 a tank, then will not work at all from 1/2 a tank to empty.

Just trying to determine if there's a simple way to tell which type of failure has occurred.

Stan

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Stan,

Sometimes the sender I repaired/cleaned did not give any indication on the gauge and sometimes just like you describe. In the Netherlands most vintage Volvo's use LPG as fuel and we have a little bit off petrol in the tank. That means that the sender is only moved over a short distance of the resistor wire, after a longer time there gets oxidation on the rest of the resistor wire. When you than fill petrol again you do not get any indication. If you want to know if the resistor wire is broken you can measure the wire with a common Ohm meter, if it reads infinity you know the wire is broken. Unfortunately I am at sea at the moment, but when I get home I can check if I have a good sender some were in my workshop.

Regards,

Mathieu.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts