SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ar-scores-to-vehicles-with-autobrake-systems/

Interesting. Overall, I think it's a good move on their part. The IIHS study does show CitySafety has helped lower claims. I myself have mixed feelings about it due to all the bad stories and false brakings, but overall, I think their decision is still one in the right direction. Hopefully with more companies adding it, the tech will just get better, and the falses go away.

One thing I'd like to see though, is for Volvo (or other companies) to add a middle ground setting, a Forward Collision WARNING, like what Chrysler did. Chrysler's FCW is basically a more sensistive CitySafety just with no autobraking, only a warning alarm. But what I like about it is that it's ALWAYS on, ready to warn me even if I am in control. This is one of the aspects I don't like about CitySafety. CitySafety is trying to hard to stay out of my way, trying to interpret my throttle response as whether I am paying attention or not, it doesn't want to make any warning noises ahead of time, and it only steps in at the absolute last minute 'sometimes'. But then for all that, people have to deal with false brakings in the middle of an intersection. And then more REALLY annoying, is that Volvo doesn't have a problem muting the stereo and sounding a warning chime when I'm completely STOPPED at an intersection and either via a falsing or a pedestrian walking by, the fwd parking sensors are triggered. What I like about FCW is that their threshold seems to be just enough lower that it still doesn't false, but when it does signal a warning, I will have time to then react myself, EVEN IF I AM IN CONTROL, for ex, maybe making a bad judgement call on braking distance.

IMO, it would be nice if these auto-braking systems had THREE settings, OFF, WARNING, AUTOBRAKE. Then there would really be no reason for anybody to complain. And the driver should be able to choose what setting is on by default whenever the car is turned on.

On another note, I wonder if any of these systems tie their braking distance calculations into rain sensing wipers to adjust for wet roads.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Volvo does have a very good Collision Warning system w/ Autobrake. It warns you very loudly before a collision is about to take place and if you do not react it will take over.

It is part of the Technology package in S60s, S80s, XC60s and XC70s.

City Safety is not nearly as intrusive as you think it is.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Volvo does have a very good Collision Warning system w/ Autobrake. It warns you very loudly before a collision is about to take place and if you do not react it will take over.

It is part of the Technology package in S60s, S80s, XC60s and XC70s.
In that case nice. During our demos of CitySafety, there was no audible warning until the system kicked in. And we were instructed to keep our foot off the brake. My last understanding is that CitySafety won't do anything if it thinks you are in control. So if you are braking, but not enough, the system does nothing. Chrysler's FCW does still sound a warning chime if you are not braking enough. Also, it warns regardless of whether you are braking, accelerating, or not paying attention. The next step for FCW is to actually have it apply the brakes. The next step for Volvo is, IMO if I am understanding the system correctly, is to at least have the system warn sooner REGARDLESS of whether it thinks you are in control.

Both systems also need to let the owner of the car choose what they want the default to be.

City Safety is not nearly as intrusive as you think it is.
I think you misunderstood me. I agree, CitySafety is not intrusive at all, maybe Volvo went too far to keep it out of mind. Until that is, it scares the hell out of you when it brakes for no reason in the middle of an intersection.

EDIT: Oh, so "Collision Warning" is NOT standard. Part of tech. Is this part of adaptive cruise? What speeds does CW work at and is it always on?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what is the difference between standard CitySafety and optional Collision Warning with AutoBrake? Reading online, it seems there is confusion and they overlap?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts