SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Get this thing out of my car. I took my first family road trip today to a family surprise birthday party. Party was in a city not a rural town. Nav took us 10 miles from our destination. Missed the surprise.

Google maps thankfully got us there soon after. This was a very basic location. Not a situation with more than one street name in the same town or something like that.

Worst part is my wife who couldn't have cared less about a new car now has zero faith in driving it.

Good news is Apple Car Play is around the corner. So I'm not all that concerned but it's too bad the Nav is impossibly bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
According to some people here on the forums, the November update should take care of a lot of the navigation problems. I've only used the navigation to get to a few places not too far away (30 miles max), but it works as intended.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You can talk any brand of nav from any manufacturer and find the exact same thing would happen with some addresses......While clearly a let down on a time-sensitive trip, I wouldn't label the system as "impossibly bad". On a long trip last week GoogleMaps was completely wrong while the Garmin was correct. It's never 100% sure with any system that it's right, and I never blindly follow a nav without verify the route is credible, or compare it with GoogleMaps or AppleMaps when I need to trust it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can talk any brand of nav from any manufacturer and find the exact same thing would happen with some addresses......While clearly a let down on a time-sensitive trip, I wouldn't label the system as "impossibly bad". On a long trip last week GoogleMaps was completely wrong while the Garmin was correct. It's never 100% sure with any system that it's right, and I never blindly follow a nav without verify the route is credible, or compare it with GoogleMaps or AppleMaps when I need to trust it.
I agree. If going to some place far, or unfamiliar, I always use the in car map and have google maps up as backup.

·
Registered
419 Posts
When visiting the Volvo dealer to test drive and purchase the XC90, Waze took me to the middle of a derelict housing estate!
I'd say, with all the other issues, that the navigation is hands down the biggest single problem with my XC 90. I run Waze, which has always been correct so far, a band ne Garmin "upscale" GPS and the Volvo GPS.

The Waze traffic warnings are correct 90% of the time. The routes have always been correct and take traffic into into account. Traffic is often the biggest single issue. The Garmin is a usually little better and often includes slight better routing from traffic information, although lacking some of the Waze alerts about police and cars by the side of the road. Over the last 3000 miles the Volvo has always come in a distant and disappointing last. It usually does not take traffic into account and does not recognize streets always recognized by the other two GPS systems. It's the consistency of this poor performance clinches things for me.

Notwithstanding the minor glitches that might exist in the other two GPS systems, the Volvo navigation is horrible by comparison and a real failure that an expensive car could have such a truly poor system.

Volvo should be ashamed, although they do not seem to care.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I'd say, with all the other issues, that the navigation is hands down the biggest single problem with my XC 90. I run Waze, which has always been correct so far, a band ne Garmin "upscale" GPS and the Volvo GPS.

The Waze traffic warnings are correct 90% of the time. The routes have always been correct and take traffic into into account. Traffic is often the biggest single issue. The Garmin is a usually little better and often includes slight better routing from traffic information, although lacking some of the Waze alerts about police and cars by the side of the road. Over the last 3000 miles the Volvo has always come in a distant and disappointing last. It usually does not take traffic into account and does not recognize streets always recognized by the other two GPS systems. It's the consistency of this poor performance clinches things for me.

Notwithstanding the minor glitches that might exist in the other two GPS systems, the Volvo navigation is horrible by comparison and a real failure that an expensive car could have such a truly poor system.

Volvo should be ashamed, although they do not seem to care.
FYI, there is a software update coming in November which should address at least some nav issues. Volvo didn't speak about how they care but they certainly can't afford to don't care.

·
Registered
419 Posts
FYI, there is a software update coming in November which should address at least some nav issues. Volvo didn't speak about how they care but they certainly can't afford to don't care.
They are not transparent or forthcoming. No one knows what the alleged update in November will of will not include. Waze is clearly better than Volvo NAV in all of my trips. It makes no sense that a free app performs better than an expensive NAV system.

God forbid you should rely on the Volvo NAV to get you to a hospital. Volvo should care about that but no sign of it.

At least give us a way to access the Waze app on the Sensus screen. Volvo thinks it is a favor -- I think it is a necessity.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
They are not transparent or forthcoming. No one knows what the alleged update in November will of will not include. Waze is clearly better than Volvo NAV in all of my trips. It makes no sense that a free app performs better than an expensive NAV system.

God forbid you should rely on the Volvo NAV to get you to a hospital. Volvo should care about that but no sign of it.

At least give us a way to access the Waze app on the Sensus screen. Volvo thinks it is a favor -- I think it is a necessity.
Hardly any car nav software can beat Waze, expensive though it is always. Some free app is very good. Not to mention Android itself is free.
Also Android car and air play are coming, free for FE owners. Not sure what you are worried about.

Volvo maybe is always not transparent on what they are doing. You certainly can blame them for not speaking out enough if it helps.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hardly any car nav software can beat Waze, expensive though it is always. Some free app is very good. Not to mention Android itself is free.
Also Android car and air play are coming, free for FE owners. Not sure what you are worried about.

Volvo maybe is always not transparent on what they are doing. You certainly can blame them for not speaking out enough if it helps.
That's a funny response, more like an excuse. I worry about getting where I want to go in the least time.

I also worry that you make promises for Volvo that Volvo does not make themselves. I don't know if you are associated with them, in some way; however, transparency and honesty are requirements. The recent VW incident should convince you of that.

I don't care about other cars' NAV systems. There is no reason why Volvo's NAV system can't be better than Waze, or why they can't give access to Waze. . It's just a matter of commitment.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It's not a funny response it's true. I'd go as far as to say no in-car nav is as good as waze. Everyone should be ashamed I guess. I pretty much feel that way actually, it's a shame nav systems suck so much in general.

I do use the xc90 nav in addition to waze and Google, usually not all at once. It's not good but really it's not that bad either. It does work for me 99% of the time.

I wonder if waze could even be readily adapted? There's a lot of aspects of waze which could be construed as dangerous to use while driving.

Also I think the 'lack of transparency' about the update thing is a little silly. Companies bring products to market when they want to, in the manner they want to and that includes software. When a new iPhone is coming up, is apple failing to be 'transparent' when they don't announce features prior to...announcing features?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
That's a funny response, more like an excuse. I worry about getting where I want to go in the least time.

I also worry that you make promises for Volvo that Volvo does not make themselves. I don't know if you are associated with them, in some way; however, transparency and honesty are requirements. The recent VW incident should convince you of that.

I don't care about other cars' NAV systems. There is no reason why Volvo's NAV system can't be better than Waze, or why they can't give access to Waze. . It's just a matter of commitment.
What I can say is Waze will never run natively on any car from current car manufacturers in market. What car you'd like to drive? There are plenty of reasons car nav from any car maker cannot catch up with Waze, unless they make a car to report presence of police cars on road.

For access to Waze, Volvo already announced Android car and iOS air play are coming. There is nothing like they can't give access to Waze.

And the November update was disclosed here after communication with Volvo by other owner, if you didn't know. It is not my promise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's not a funny response it's true. I'd go as far as to say no in-car nav is as good as waze. Everyone should be ashamed I guess. I pretty much feel that way actually, it's a shame nav systems suck so much in general.

I do use the xc90 nav in addition to waze and Google, usually not all at once. It's not good but really it's not that bad either. It does work for me 99% of the time.

I wonder if waze could even be readily adapted? There's a lot of aspects of waze which could be construed as dangerous to use while driving.

Also I think the 'lack of transparency' about the update thing is a little silly. Companies bring products to market when they want to, in the manner they want to and that includes software. When a new iPhone is coming up, is apple failing to be 'transparent' when they don't announce features prior to...announcing features?
I wouldn't mind the Google Earth navigation system Audi is using. Would be an upgrade to the current system and should be something that I would think could be updated thru the software. Also, like how Audi system is integrated into the instrument display. Some may find all the colors distracting but I like them.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah for the record I'm considering switching to android for the sole purpose of using google maps via android auto. I'll try apple maps in CarPlay since it's available first. And I also think it's a problem that Volvo is trying to have a 'competitive' nav system while also embracing CarPlay and android auto as the future of infotainment. But I personally think that those two are the near future of infotainment so I'm not sweating the native nav. Mainly want fullscreen CarPlay or android.

The waze issue is secondary but I think should be taken up with apple and Google. It would be a total waste of $$ for Volvo to try to compete with waze.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
A few comments on remarks made above.

-- Yep, Waze is the best nav out there right now by far. Far better, ironically since it is free, than the paid Garmin options.

-- I get that no native carmaker nav system is likely to keep up with Waze. With the cars now being internet-connected, there is no technical reason they couldn't, BTW, but they just don't have the software focus and expertise and even if they did they don't have the critical mass Waze does for crowd sourced real-time info. Which is exactly why it would be awesome to see a car company license Waze as their in-car solution. Google owns Waze and already does license another maps products to Audi, so it's far from impossible.

-- The thing is, since we all have seen how effective a free app on a base memory and model mobile phone can be, it's pretty obvious that there is no reason to charge thousands of dollars for the navigation features in cars. It doesn't require extensive processor power. Memory is cheap. These systems are cash cow profit machines for the car companies.

-- I was loaned a Honda Civic the other day when I took my old Pilot in for servicing. This is an entry level car. Yet it had an HDMI port that allowed you to use an HDMI adapter from your phone and mirror your phone screen on the native touch screen in the car. So you could buy this cheap adapter cable and get full-screen Waze on this tiny, cheap Civic. Yet we can't still with a $70K+ car. Was is not an option on Apple's CarPlay and so far even Android Auto only offers Google Maps not full Waze, which is better than nothing but not as good.

-- Currently the nav system in the XC90 is the worst of any new car I have owned this century. My 7-year-old Honda's blows it away on accuracy, ease of use and the ability to use voice commands. It's still not the worst in-car nav system I have used. But it's certainly not great.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Waze is free to end user but won't be free if a carmaker licenses it. They would need to pay per-car license fee to Google. That's why they end up with cheaper solution of buying map and developing in-house nav software. There must be some valid reason for all carmakers to do so. The Here company bought by German 3 could be an interesting business model for in-car nav software.

Volvo probably couldn't reuse the nav software on current 60 series due to totally different OS inside, or different contract with map or nav vendor. It is unfortunate there is still some gaps to fill. And nav is not even an option on XC90. They have to provide it as other luxury cars and couldn't put a separate price on it.

It is a pity that Android Auto doesn't support Waze. I thought it is like remote desktop to your phone and run any app. If not so then Android Auto is not so attractive at all.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Has anyone figured out the iPhone-hdmi-sensus connection yet? I'm sure this is possible at the expense of anything else onscreen but for longer drives it might be worth it to some (I am not into too much rigging myself I'd rather just use a phone holder for now to display waze).

Someone posted a long journal style review detailing a trip from the UK to Switzerland which included a photo of watching movies on the touchscreen so I'm sure this is possible. USB-hdmi-iPhone or something.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Movies are simple: you plug in a USB stick with a movie and senses will play it. If it is in a format the sensus can use (manual) and if the speed is below a very low limit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can understand the disscussion about how the NAV system guides you or adjust according to traffic, but the OP is commenting on that he was guided 10 miles to the wrong location. How did that happen?? What kind of an address was it? House, business, recreational area, etc?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Movies are simple: you plug in a USB stick with a movie and senses will play it. If it is in a format the sensus can use (manual) and if the speed is below a very low limit.
If Volvo is serious about being an industry leader the least they could do is find a way to display Waze from a mobile phone on the Sensus display and on the display in front of the driver.

And as for adapting the Waze app to work on Sensus -- it is not an extremely difficult software development.

Obviously, Volvo does not care about its customers.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts