SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Volvo got delivered with 2009 maps. Now I want to update to current maps. It appears that there are no updates beyond a late 2012/early 2013 version. (almost 3 years old). I was told updates are relased every 18 months.
Having paid a lot of money for navigation it appears my smart phone is the way to go, rather that update the Navigation system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most mfrs. support the factory nav with updates for about 4-5 years. That's it. Factory nav is great for first owners who lease or who otherwise don't hold onto their cars for a long time. But portable hand held devices, whether dedicated GPS unit or cell phone (assuming you can get a signal) are often better due to more frequent updates and easier to replace outright when newer technology becomes available.

In my 2010 XC70 I love the simple look of the dashboard without navigation. I use my cell phone and Waze. I keep it in the center console cup holder, which is terrible for line of sight but I just listen to the audio commands or glance at it at stoplights. I use it mainly for my daily commute so route variation is limited. It's more to help with traffic and hazards. If I had to go to a different and unfamiliar place multiple times a day then I'd invest in a proper mount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts