SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the opinions of the navigation system from people who have an xc90? From my brief experience at the dealer the navigation system didn't look too good. Is there any way to make the navigation take up the whole screen?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes there is a button to make the nav the whole screen - it shows up well on the Sensus Driver display as well, and on the heads up display. It works very well, much better than the dumbed down Apple Carplay mapping.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You will find quite a bit of complaining about various aspects of the Navigation system on here. I think it's fine. Yes, you can get either the partial view using part of the Sensus screen, or the full screen. I have ended up sticking the nav map in the middle of the gauges on the dashboard.

Most people seem to prefer using Google Maps or Waze on a smart phone to get directions or navigate. If you use the Sensus Nav for directions, most of the drivers on here seem to feel like it's not as reliable for estimating time of arrival or navigating around traffic.

·
Registered
695 Posts
(disclaimer: I like Volvo)
The current Apple Carplay map is strangely limited to the lower half of the LCD display, making it virtually unusable. This is a soft design limitation, perhaps due to infighting between Apple teams. I hope a future Carplay sw update fixes this.
The current Sensus map can be enlarged to fully use the LCD display, is functional at a base level, and displayable in the console by the speedometer. However the maps are limited to a few colors with limited road and neighborhood information. This is a generation or two behind Ford Sync 3.
Volvo needs to rev Sensus with a focus on mapping and routing. They cannot limit themselves to Apple, as the Apple feature/function trajectory post-Jobs is not good. This should be a sw update for current customers.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Here's a potentially dumb question. How do you cancel navigation on Sensus once a trip has begun? I see how to easily pause routing, but not cancel. I looked in the manual briefly but didn't see it there either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The navi is quite good. It is accurate, and doesn't read annoying "Recalculating..." like my Garmin when I miss my turn or entrance, and the way to put street address is also more natural (street first, then door number).

However there are a few shortcomings. I still couldn't find a fast way to save addresses or the current location. There are no real POIs but only street numbers. And it is slow to enter the navi interface and input address for the first time. One more annoying thing is that it will zoom in when approaching a turn, so actually I missed the turn once due to change in distance and speed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's a potentially dumb question. How do you cancel navigation on Sensus once a trip has begun? I see how to easily pause routing, but not cancel. I looked in the manual briefly but didn't see it there either.
The fastest way is to use voice input and say "Clear Itinerary" . I don't know why they didn't use the phrase "cancel route" which most navigation systems use. You can cancel it through the screen but it's a multi-step process going into different screens, which can be a huge distraction when driving. This needs to be updated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I like the general look of Sensus but one thing I don't like is the startup lag. The lag affects the whole screen, so turning on the heated/cooled seats and changing temperature can be a problem. Once the system fully boots up, it's not an issue but you can easily have started driving by the time the system completes its cycle. Unless CarPlay navigation gets integrated into the map screen of the instrument cluster, I'm sticking with the on board navigation. I'm not holding my breath that CarPlay's system will get that fully integrated into Sensus.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've got mixed feelings on the nav system. Having used a Garmin Nüvi quite a bit as well as Google maps ... its different.

If you get the driver's 12-inch display maps are displayed between the two gauges - pretty nice. And if you get the HUD (head's up display) you'll get turn instructions there as well. This is in addition to the main screen display. To be honest - I now rarely use the main screen and often have something else displaying on it - or even dark.

At first I was pretty upset with the routing that it was suggesting - never the way Google or my Garmin would suggest. Later I found that the default (in my T8 at least) was for eco routing. Changing that setting ... I got routes that seemed to make more sense, e.g., agree with those other route planners. Ah - but I've also come to learn that in fact the Sensus suggestions for eco routing are indeed the best for running on pure battery. While my 20 minute commute now takes 25 and maybe even 30 minutes (aprox 10 miles / 16 km) it is done without burning any fuel - and that's a good thing.

I have it setup to display traffic info and it looks much like traffic info displayed in Google Maps: colored lines along the roads. This data appears to come via Inrix through the car's integral wireless (telco) Internet connection (AT&T here in the US). It appears to be pretty good - I've not run into a traffic scenario that wasn't appropriately displayed on the map. It has also suggested some re-routes which made sense as well.

A wonderful thing about the nav (on the big screen) is it uses the two finger gesture based system that would be familiar to any tablet user: pinch to zoom in, opposite to expand ... and the performance dragging the map is darn good (especially compared to a Garmin).

The Sensus voice command interface to it could use some work - I find most of the time it is just faster to either enter waypoints or destinations on the center display ... or push them to the vehicle from the VOC mobile app.

Hopefully the platform will only get better and more refined over time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great question, as it took me forever to figure this out. It is not intuitive or obvious at all. Basically, during the route, you click on the name of the route destination/address, which is at the top left of the screen. It then allows you the option to "Clear Itinerary".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great question, as it took me forever to figure this out. It is not intuitive or obvious at all. Basically, during the route, you click on the name of the route destination/address, which is at the top left of the screen. It then allows you the option to "Clear Itinerary".
Or you can use the voice command "Clear Itinerary", assuming it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
CarPlay, for what? Text messaging??

What are the opinions of the navigation system from people who have an xc90? From my brief experience at the dealer the navigation system didn't look too good. Is there any way to make the navigation take up the whole screen?
Last week I paid the $440 to have CarPlay installed so I could stop dealing with the navigation system default on my new xc90 (the display, HUD, etc are beautiful, but dealing with the voice system is brutal - drove me insane).

My bad I guess, and a waste of money - but Apple Maps doesn't show on the HUD or the dash, only on the center console! Pandora is great, but I finally realized I can download Pandora from the app store for the xc90.

So I just spent $440 to be able to use Siri and send and receive text messages. That seems like a very expensive addition.

For any local trips, I'm using the Siri option for maps - because it is WAY better. But for any road trips I'm going to suffer through the Sensus Navigation system. Not having the Apple Maps front and center seems really like a pretty big problem - I'm not sure from a software perspective what the solution is - but I think my dream would be able to have the destination entered via Siri and then have an option to 'Send to Sensus' or something like that!

Of course, I can use the iPhone app for my Volvo to send the destination to the vehicle - but so many detours just to avoid the awful voice control of Sensus.... Not the quality I expected, and this doesn't match the quality of the rest of the vehicle!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The navi is quite good. It is accurate, and doesn't read annoying "Recalculating..." like my Garmin when I miss my turn or entrance, and the way to put street address is also more natural (street first, then door number).

However there are a few shortcomings. I still couldn't find a fast way to save addresses or the current location. There are no real POIs but only street numbers. And it is slow to enter the navi interface and input address for the first time. One more annoying thing is that it will zoom in when approaching a turn, so actually I missed the turn once due to change in distance and speed.
To save where you are:
1) Maximize the Nav app
2) Long press a place near you on the map
3) Use the context menu that appears next to where you are pressing to save the location

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
(disclaimer: I like Volvo)
The current Apple Carplay map is strangely limited to the lower half of the LCD display, making it virtually unusable. This is a soft design limitation, perhaps due to infighting between Apple teams. I hope a future Carplay sw update fixes this.
The current Sensus map can be enlarged to fully use the LCD display, is functional at a base level, and displayable in the console by the speedometer. However the maps are limited to a few colors with limited road and neighborhood information. This is a generation or two behind Ford Sync 3.
Volvo needs to rev Sensus with a focus on mapping and routing. They cannot limit themselves to Apple, as the Apple feature/function trajectory post-Jobs is not good. This should be a sw update for current customers.
Unusable because it only occupies half of the center console? That's a bit much - as is your comments pertaining to Apple post-Jobs. All one needs to do is look at their latest record quarter.
As I've said many times now, CarPlay is not an iPhone on the screen. It's going to be different, by design, and it takes some getting used to and understanding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So forgive me if this is intuitive, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the view of navigation in the center console from always N/S/E/W to the direction in which the car is heading. The view over the steering wheel has this, but not the main view. I can't figure out what I'm missing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What are the opinions of the navigation system from people who have an xc90?
Both the nav itself AND voice work amazingly well... As long as you stick to navigating to Starbucks. Using voice to even try and enter the sample address ("1 main st new York") doesn't seem to work at all. POIs also seems somewhat out of date. Just a couple of weeks ago it took me to a gas station that doesn't exist. (Disclaimer: I have not yet switched to the latest (1140?) maps.)

I like the size of the map in full-screen, but in general it is rather underwhelming. My 8 year old Lexus is still miles ahead with its map software. Small details such as dedicated icons on the map for Italian/American/etc. restaurants, Shell/76/etc. gas stations, etc. make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I happen to really like the nav and the way it looks. I also despise the wake app look so maybe it's I like cleaner looking maps. Also after having nav on the HUD I would have a hard time ever going back. Between HUD and on the console I usually don't even have the map on the large screen

·
Registered
369 Posts
Another method I find useful is to touch the flag on the destination. Can do this from normal or maximized nav screen. Then an option to delete will pop up. If selecting from normal size window, it takes a few seconds for the window to maximize first.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Garmin has always been particularly bad -- I owned 3 over the years. So if you're coming from that, Sensus nav isn't so bad. But that was setting the bar pretty low compared to other options.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts