SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<BR>I have a 2002 S60 AWD w/ NAV, which I got about a month ago. Over the last week or so, I've noticed the navigation system getting "lost"... i.e., showing me a completely wrong location (e.g., showing me that I was in New Jersey when I was really in Connecticut), sometimes it shows me driving right through large bodies of water... etc. I called my dealer in Princeton, who was completely clueless about the nav system, stating that I was one of only a small handfull of people who had purchased the system. They scheduled an appointment for me to bring it in, but the soonest they could give me is in a couple of weeks. I may have to call another local dealer to see if they can take me sooner...<P>Upon further inspection, I clicked my way through some of the menus to get to the GPS system status screen to find that it was tracking zero sattelites. I seem to remember having looked at the same screen right after getting the car and seeing that it was tracking seven sattelites. I tried this in several different physical locations, all with clear and unobstructed views of the sky, all with the same result.<P>Does anyone have any experience with this? Could this be a problem with the antenna or a connection? As a pilot I am used to using GPS to navigate in the air, and have enjoyed using it to find my way on the ground. Is Volvo's system really that unreliable, or do I just have a bad unit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I haven't had my nav for very long, but so far I haven't had any problems with it. You should definately have it looked at. Where is the GPS status screen; I will have to check mine and see how many satelites it is tracking. <P>Shawna<P>

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PCB:<BR><B><BR>I have a 2002 S60 AWD w/ NAV, which I got about a month ago. Over the last week or so, I've noticed the navigation system getting "lost"... i.e., showing me a completely wrong location (e.g., showing me that I was in New Jersey when I was really in Connecticut), sometimes it shows me driving right through large bodies of water... etc. I called my dealer in Princeton, who was completely clueless about the nav system, stating that I was one of only a small handfull of people who had purchased the system. They scheduled an appointment for me to bring it in, but the soonest they could give me is in a couple of weeks. I may have to call another local dealer to see if they can take me sooner...<P>Upon further inspection, I clicked my way through some of the menus to get to the GPS system status screen to find that it was tracking zero sattelites. I seem to remember having looked at the same screen right after getting the car and seeing that it was tracking seven sattelites. I tried this in several different physical locations, all with clear and unobstructed views of the sky, all with the same result.<P>Does anyone have any experience with this? Could this be a problem with the antenna or a connection? As a pilot I am used to using GPS to navigate in the air, and have enjoyed using it to find my way on the ground. Is Volvo's system really that unreliable, or do I just have a bad unit?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>As I was reading your post, before I got to the 2nd paragraph, I thought about the system having not being calibrated right or not connecting to the proper amount of satellites (up to 10 as needed) or not at all.<P>There is also the possibility that some connection (plugs) could have become loose but I doubt it as you would have gotten a message. I would have them check out the calibration and/or the GPS sensor. <P>As far as the two-week waiting period, I now that it may seem ridiculous but in the summer a busy Retailer like Princeton can take that much time. Obviously, that is a problem that a Retailer should not have. Try another Retailer, just call around and find out who is not as busy!<P>Good luck!<P>Yannis<P>

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Volvo's system is quite reliable actually (I've got two). Frankly they're bullet proof as long as you are physically in a place where you can get a signal (the only issue I've ever seen is with some of the CD ROM based variants where they can fall behind if you go off track in an area with a lot of roads and turns close together).<P>From what you've described I suspect there is a good possibility that your antenna signal is disconnected. If were getting a low number of satellites I would be more concerned (you need 3 for an accurate signal). Because you are consistently getting 0 satellites you are most likely looking for a loose connection somewhere (did you stuff the trunk with any oversized objects recently?)<P>Good luck.<P>-rdo<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PCB:<BR><B><BR>I have a 2002 S60 AWD w/ NAV, which I got about a month ago. Over the last week or so, I've noticed the navigation system getting "lost"... i.e., showing me a completely wrong location (e.g., showing me that I was in New Jersey when I was really in Connecticut), sometimes it shows me driving right through large bodies of water... etc. I called my dealer in Princeton, who was completely clueless about the nav system, stating that I was one of only a small handfull of people who had purchased the system. They scheduled an appointment for me to bring it in, but the soonest they could give me is in a couple of weeks. I may have to call another local dealer to see if they can take me sooner...<P>Upon further inspection, I clicked my way through some of the menus to get to the GPS system status screen to find that it was tracking zero sattelites. I seem to remember having looked at the same screen right after getting the car and seeing that it was tracking seven sattelites. I tried this in several different physical locations, all with clear and unobstructed views of the sky, all with the same result.<P>Does anyone have any experience with this? Could this be a problem with the antenna or a connection? As a pilot I am used to using GPS to navigate in the air, and have enjoyed using it to find my way on the ground. Is Volvo's system really that unreliable, or do I just have a bad unit?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts