SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 S60 AWD w/ NAV, which I got about a month ago. Over the last week or so, I've noticed the navigation system getting "lost"... i.e., showing me a completely wrong location (e.g., showing me that I was in New Jersey when I was really in Connecticut), sometimes it shows me driving right through large bodies of water... etc. I called my dealer in Princeton, who was completely clueless about the nav system, stating that I was one of only a small handfull of people who had purchased the system. They scheduled an appointment for me to bring it in, but the soonest they could give me is in a couple of weeks. I may have to call another local dealer to see if they can take me sooner...

Upon further inspection, I clicked my way through some of the menus to get to the GPS system status screen to find that it was tracking zero sattelites. I seem to remember having looked at the same screen right after getting the car and seeing that it was tracking seven sattelites. I tried this in several different physical locations, all with clear and unobstructed views of the sky, all with the same result.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Could this be a problem with the antenna or a connection? As a pilot I am used to using GPS to navigate in the air, and have enjoyed using it to find my way on the ground. Is Volvo's system really that unreliable, or do I just have a bad unit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I haven't had my nav for very long, but so far I haven't had any problems with it. You should definately have it looked at. Where is the GPS status screen; I will have to check mine and see how many satelites it is tracking.

Shawna

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by PCB:

I have a 2002 S60 AWD w/ NAV, which I got about a month ago. Over the last week or so, I've noticed the navigation system getting "lost"... i.e., showing me a completely wrong location (e.g., showing me that I was in New Jersey when I was really in Connecticut), sometimes it shows me driving right through large bodies of water... etc. I called my dealer in Princeton, who was completely clueless about the nav system, stating that I was one of only a small handfull of people who had purchased the system. They scheduled an appointment for me to bring it in, but the soonest they could give me is in a couple of weeks. I may have to call another local dealer to see if they can take me sooner...

Upon further inspection, I clicked my way through some of the menus to get to the GPS system status screen to find that it was tracking zero sattelites. I seem to remember having looked at the same screen right after getting the car and seeing that it was tracking seven sattelites. I tried this in several different physical locations, all with clear and unobstructed views of the sky, all with the same result.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Could this be a problem with the antenna or a connection? As a pilot I am used to using GPS to navigate in the air, and have enjoyed using it to find my way on the ground. Is Volvo's system really that unreliable, or do I just have a bad unit?
As I was reading your post, before I got to the 2nd paragraph, I thought about the system having not being calibrated right or not connecting to the proper amount of satellites (up to 10 as needed) or not at all.

There is also the possibility that some connection (plugs) could have become loose but I doubt it as you would have gotten a message. I would have them check out the calibration and/or the GPS sensor.

As far as the two-week waiting period, I now that it may seem ridiculous but in the summer a busy Retailer like Princeton can take that much time. Obviously, that is a problem that a Retailer should not have. Try another Retailer, just call around and find out who is not as busy!

Good luck!

Yannis

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Volvo's system is quite reliable actually (I've got two). Frankly they're bullet proof as long as you are physically in a place where you can get a signal (the only issue I've ever seen is with some of the CD ROM based variants where they can fall behind if you go off track in an area with a lot of roads and turns close together).

From what you've described I suspect there is a good possibility that your antenna signal is disconnected. If were getting a low number of satellites I would be more concerned (you need 3 for an accurate signal). Because you are consistently getting 0 satellites you are most likely looking for a loose connection somewhere (did you stuff the trunk with any oversized objects recently?)

Good luck.

-rdo

quote:

Originally posted by PCB:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.