SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my XC90 in Germany. The dealer assured me that once my car made it to the US we would be able to purchase the US maps. I drove my car around using European maps for a year. Now apparently there is a huge problem. When I talked to the OSD ladies they said that several Military Sales Dealerships were informing people incorrectly and the dealer would not be able to do this. They said they are working directly with HQ to work out a solution.

I'm curious why this is suddenly a big deal. Wouldn't this just involve buying a new disk? Or is the system not upgradable since it already has European maps on it?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Could be a licensing issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, talked to OSD again and they explained that they were just worried about getting the maps added since I thought I had prepaid. I checked the invoice and they didn't charge me for a second set of maps. They did offer me a coupon for 30% off a Map update. I haven't received it yet but I'm interested in seeing if it's thru Navteq or Volvo. Navteq said that it's a straight forward install. I just pop the DVD in and the system will self update. I wonder why Volvo charges an installation fee for this. Hmmm, if the coupon is for Volvo install then it might be cheaper to do it myself. Thoughts?

Also, my car is on a truck and should be at the dealer tomorrow. Unfortunately the lady who handles OSD at the dealer hates me and gives me an attitude any time I call. Oh well, only have to deal with her a few more days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've ran across this multiple times being here in San Antonio. Your dealer should be able to resolve it pretty simply. Took me a couple of hours to figure this one out. You for sure need the newest US map disc and the tech is going to have to have the Volvo tech support change ur vehicles rti location to north america in the pie system. Then a simple rti reload and ur in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Since I have Mapcare can I use the update disk they send me or do I have to pay the $200?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Also, my car is on a truck and should be at the dealer tomorrow. Unfortunately the lady who handles OSD at the dealer hates me and gives me an attitude any time I call. Oh well, only have to deal with her a few more days.
Is it you she hates or OSD in general?

I already knew the woman at my dealer who handles OSD from some community volunteering; I got ZERO attitude. I know there's a fair amount of paperwork they have to do. The sales critter was also easy to deal with. I did not have to deal with the F&I guy in the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She was super nice when I showed up to pick up the car. But Volvo OSD had to call. OSD called me to tell me the car had been dropped off by the trucking company. When I called the dealership, the lady said there was nothing on her desk and wouldn't look outside to see if any cars had been delivered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've ran across this multiple times being here in San Antonio. Your dealer should be able to resolve it pretty simply. Took me a couple of hours to figure this one out. You for sure need the newest US map disc and the tech is going to have to have the Volvo tech support change ur vehicles rti location to north america in the pie system. Then a simple rti reload and ur in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Knocker....question for you. I think I have the same problem you've described a solution for. I just bought a 2011 C30 Military vehicle here in California. The Nav thought i was in Denmark. Spent $200 with Navteq (now navigation.com) and got the latest US DVD. When I installed it, I got an error saying "The disc in the Navigation Unit in invalid. A map update disc of the current map version is required for the navigation system to work. Please insert disc 1"

Since the only disc I have was the European Disc and I am now in California, I am at a loss here. Are you saying if i go to the dealer, they can reprogram my location on the GPS and then it will read the new DVD I bought and work? Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts