SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday (10/10) I placed order for T6 with Xenons, Nav, Premium, Versatility, Climate packages & rear parking assistance. Dealer put it in computer and I have printout that says status is PPF and Del. Date is 12/13--12/20. Did this order really go thru in spite of rumors of lack of availability of Xenons and Navigation system on early models? Can I really expect delivery in this time-frame (I've had deposit on vehicle for quite a while--1st on this dealer's list). Is this part of the so-called second wave of vehicles in which Navigation is available? Also is the premium package fully available in spite of rumors to the contrary? In other words can I get this car before Xmas with these options?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (Hoo)

Hoo (WHO are you? http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif ),

PPF means that the car is just a car on...paper; it is an order where final planning has not taken place and all there is, is just an order with options with an ETA. Next stage (after October 20th) will be FPF which means that a final date of production has been planned. Then it is COL (Car on Production Line), next is FC (Factory assembly completed, going quality control), then VCMP (being prepared for loading on vessel), then LOVE (Vehicle is loaded on vessel), oh well...I can't tell you all of my "secrets"! http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

There were never "rumors" that there was a shortage of Bi-Xenons and Nav systems. Volvo did not want to overload the first units in order to have lower MSRPs. Anyway, yes, your car is changeable until October 20th, which means it should make it before Christmas. All the options should go through, the oly question being the Premium Package. Talk to your salesman and ask him to punch in the "R.O. number" of your order (he will know what I mean). If, on the screen, the word "T6PREM" appears, then you are set. If the word "PREMAUDIO" appears, it is one of those cars that they can't get Premium, they can only be equipped with Premium Audio system. Then, you will have to make the choice to either take that one and before Christmas or wait for Premium package and pick it up after February 2003.

Relax and enjoy the "ride"!

Yannis

·
Registered
879 Posts
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (GrecianVolvo)

PPF means that the car is just a car on...paper; it is an order where final planning has not taken place and all there is, is just an order with options with an ETA. Next stage (after October 20th) will be FPF which means that a final date of production has been planned. Then it is COL (Car on Production Line), next is FC (Factory assembly completed, going quality control), then VCMP (being prepared for loading on vessel), then LOVE (Vehicle is loaded on vessel), oh well...I can't tell you all of my "secrets"!

Question for Yannis ...

Since the Oct 20 stage has come and gone to make changes to vehicle allotment orders for estimated December delivery. Are you seeing any of these PPF's (Oct 20th orders) on paper change to FPF (have a date of production)? What are those dates and are things on track at the factory for December delivery?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (doublel)

Well folks with all the rumors about late deliveries and items not available there would be one plus to a late delivery. 2002 is the last year with that 3% luxury tax. I for one would be happy to push back just a bit to get it in 2003 and forego the tax to the government owed on a $40,000 plus vehicle. At least pays for a option or piece of an option.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (doublel)

quote:

Question for Yannis ...

Since the Oct 20 stage has come and gone to make changes to vehicle allotment orders for estimated December delivery. Are you seeing any of these PPF's (Oct 20th orders) on paper change to FPF (have a date of production)? What are those dates and are things on track at the factory for December delivery?
ALL of them have moved forward.

Yannis

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (sleepless2)

I found that there was big storm in Sweden, which damaged a lot of vehicles waiting for loading into a ship including XC90. It might cause more delay of delivery if it is not the only reason http://********************/smile/emcrook.gif

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (patriot)

quote:

I found that there was big storm in Sweden, which damaged a lot of vehicles waiting for loading into a ship including XC90. It might cause more delay of delivery if it is not the only reason http://********************/smile/emcrook.gif
Hmmm...I have heard this story many times before...I would not believe it if I were you.

Yannis

·
Registered
89 Posts

Well, this is from very reliable source though I can't tell where it came from. The weather in Europe recently has been bad http://********************/smile/embeer.gif http://********************/smile/embeer.gif http://********************/smile/embeer.gif

[Modified by patriot, 7:56 AM 10-29-2002]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (patriot)

So Yannis, Is there or isn't there a delay for Xenons. As of last week my car (T6 with xenons, climate, prem, vers, nav, rear warning device, etc) was due to come in the second week of December or so. Is this still likely the case--is it locked in? Is there a shortage of Xenons/Nav. Will this effect my order? Is it true that, if it was to come in after Jan 1st I'd save 3% Lux tax on the amount over what figure (30K 40K?)

·
Registered
45 Posts

Good news folks! We checked with our Calif dealer today and he said that all nine vehicles that they ordered as spec'd by customers (including us) by the Oct 20th deadline are all now marked LOVE. (Loaded on vessel). There was no notiifcation from the factory that there were any problems with any of the specifications. Our order was for a 2.5T with Xenons and NAV. Secondly, I'm an accountant so I'm pretty up on the tax code. If you take Kiplinger Tax Letter this was also stated in the most recent letter. There is a 3% luxury tax on vehicles over $40,000 through 2002. If you take delivery in 2003 it will have expired. On $42,000 that amounts to $1260.

[Modified by sleepless2, 12:07 AM 10-30-2002]

[Modified by sleepless2, 12:09 AM 10-30-2002]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Nav/Xenons ? for Yannis (nomis)

Mea culpa. I did mis-post the facts. The 3% is just in the amount over $40,000. Forgot myself and it's been awhile since I paid it! Oops. http://********************/smile/emhammer.gif

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Boy, oh boy!!!! SLow down, will 'ya??? http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

quote:

So Yannis, Is there or isn't there a delay for Xenons
It appears that the temporary delay is over.

quote:

As of last week my car (T6 with xenons, climate, prem, vers, nav, rear warning device, etc) was due to come in the second week of December or so. Is this still likely the case--is it locked in?
I guess I do not need to state that I am not the right person to ask...you must talk with your salesperson regarding this matter. He/she can monitor the progress of your order; I can't.

quote:

Is there a shortage of Xenons/Nav. Will this effect my order?
Again, you need to contact your salesperson on this.

quote:

Is it true that, if it was to come in after Jan 1st I'd save 3% Lux tax on the amount over what figure (30K 40K?)
Currently, the Federal Luxury Tax stipulates that you would pay a tax of 3% on any amount OVER $40000, i.e. if your car costs $42000 then your lucury tax is $60. So, would you rather pay the luxury tax and get your car earlier or pay no tax but have your order come delayed? http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

Mea culpa. I did mis-post the facts. The 3% is just in the amount over $40,000. Forgot myself and it's been awhile since I paid it! Oops. http://********************/smile/emhammer.gif
Your threshold is wrong; it is $38000 vs. $40000.

Luxury Tax - USA

According to the American International Automobile Dealers Association (AIADA), as of January 1, 1991, the federal government began imposing a luxury tax on automobiles. Initially assessed at 10 % of the amount of the negotiated selling price in excess of $30,000.

As of January 1, 2001, the luxury tax is now calculated at 4% of the amount of the selling price in excess of $38,000. The tax is triggered by the first retail sale or lease of a vehicle and is paid by the retail dealer. Because of the luxury tax phase out signed into law in August 1996, the luxury tax will phase out on the following schedule:

January 1, 2001 4%
January 1, 2002 3%
January 1, 2003 0%

Furthermore, if you guys are ordering an XC90 T6 with the Versatility package and it is going to be leased and also be used at least 50% for business (I mentioned a T6 with Vers. P. since its GVWR is a tad over 6,000 lbs. which is the requirement) then you will nt have to pay luxury tax.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

Good news folks! We checked with our Calif dealer today and he said that all nine vehicles that they ordered as spec'd by customers (including us) by the Oct 20th deadline are all now marked LOVE. (Loaded on vessel). There was no notiifcation from the factory that there were any problems with any of the specifications. Our order was for a 2.5T with Xenons and NAV.
Wow...I am surprised...in just 9 days your car went from the initial stage (PPF status) to...LOVE? That is extremely fast! Hard to believe! But that is great news for you...

quote:

Secondly, I'm an accountant so I'm pretty up on the tax code. If you take Kiplinger Tax Letter this was also stated in the most recent letter. There is a 3% luxury tax on vehicles over $40,000 through 2002. If you take delivery in 2003 it will have expired. On $42,000 that amounts to $1260.
Look just above for the correct luxury tax info...

Yannis

·
Registered
45 Posts

Guys, Direct quote out of October 25th issue of Kiplinger Tax Letter.

"You may want to hold off buying an expensive car until 2003.
The luxury tax on cars ends after this year. If you buy in 2002,
you pay a 3% tax on the amount by which the sales price exceeds $40,000.
On a $55,000 auto, postponing the purchase until next year saves you $450.
Dealer may be willing to cut the price to get the car off the lot in 2002."

You know the threshold amounts changed from year to year. Is it possible that the $38,000 for 2001 in your article changed to $40,000 for 2002?
I can go to the tax code tomorrow to verify...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

You know the threshold amounts changed from year to year. Is it possible that the $38,000 for 2001 in your article changed to $40,000 for 2002?
I can go to the tax code tomorrow to verify...
I am sorry...you are right. Just looked on my work manual and the threshold is $40,000...I don't know what I was thinking; I guess I had a brain fart!

Yannis

·
Registered
45 Posts

quote:

I am sorry...you are right. Just looked on my work manual and the threshold is $40,000...I don't know what I was thinking; I guess I had a brain fart!

Yannis
That's ok. I had one first. Your info is usually right on the mark. With all of us working on this we may get it right!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

Hehehe..are you guys willing to give up your December orders and wait till late January? hehehe! If that happened then us Retailers would be exhaling a deep sigh of relief! http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

Actually, I am pretty surprised about how good natured some people can be. Among our 65+ orders we have about 7 or 8 people who are currently leasing Volvos and took 6-month lease extensions (and Volvo will absolve them of the extension once their XC90 arrives). All of them (except one) called me unsolicited and told that they would not mind waiting "another month or so; I know you are in a jam with so many orders that I would not mind, since I have a lease extension, in getting the car a bit later"...I thought that this was rare and I am sure that saving $150 or so on luxury tax was not the motivating factor... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Yannis

·
Registered
45 Posts

Yea, I know fat chance on the price cut. And NO I'm not willing to give mine up. I'm driving one of the company "beaters" just to have wheels under me since I sold mine. Thank goodness I had an option. When our dealer said we were LOVE today I could hardly believe it (pinch me!) Somebody must like me. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts