SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, my area, or is the Nav system hopelessly optimistic about the time it takes to travel on surface streets as compared to highways and this is always recommending detours from freeways:(? Whether asking for 1 or 3 routes I always see it doing this. There does not appear to be an option to avoid surface streets. Anyone having better luck?

BTW, this is our 1000th Thread!:beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Between the "Shortest, Fastest, Easiest" there isn't one that sticks to highways for you?

Regardless, I feel like there must be a tweak in the nav settings...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between the "Shortest, Fastest, Easiest" there isn't one that sticks to highways for you?

Regardless, I feel like there must be a tweak in the nav settings...
That is correct.In many cases the over-streets route is "Shorter and since it appears to aways underestimate the time it is considered "Fastest". I would have thought highways/freeways would be preferred for "Easiest" but for the life of me that does not appear to be the case. In the sub-menus where you can specify what to avoid, "local streets" is not an option. This results in it suggesting exiting a freeway I am already on when there is any sign of congestion.:mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is correct.In many cases the over-streets route is "Shorter and since it appears to aways underestimate the time it is considered "Fastest". I would have thought highways/freeways would be preferred for "Easiest" but for the life of me that does not appear to be the case. In the sub-menus where you can specify what to avoid, "local streets" is not an option. This results in it suggesting exiting a freeway I am already on when there is any sign of congestion.:mad:
My experience as well.

In addition, at least in Los Angeles, the speed threshold between showing a freeway orange vs red is not right. Red is rarely shown, as a result, I am asked to take surface streets when the freeways are moving but slow, or at halt. I have to rely on my iPhone for an accurate read of freeway speeds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I was assuming there was an "avoid local streets option". Maybe this will be apart of the next Nav upgrade? I see you have the same model year as me - I bought in July. The company that sends the Nav updates said I would get one this July or August.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts