SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So........ I have the most updated Nav system and am still missing my lil 'ol Garmin. I have many issues with the cumbersome nature of plugging info in, but I will leave those aside and focus on my main frustration.

I have read thru the manual and spent a lot of time scrolling through the system itself, but to no avail. Is there anyway to set the Nav so that it shows the names of ALL the roads, and not just the one you are on?

Okay, actually, I do have another question that ranks a close second. Any way to change to color of the route on the screen, sometimes yellow and mustard are a little close on the color spectrum when going 70 mph.

Thanks,

EJ

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
So........ I have the most updated Nav system and am still missing my lil 'ol Garmin. I have many issues with the cumbersome nature of plugging info in, but I will leave those aside and focus on my main frustration.

I have read thru the manual and spent a lot of time scrolling through the system itself, but to no avail. Is there anyway to set the Nav so that it shows the names of ALL the roads, and not just the one you are on?

Okay, actually, I do have another question that ranks a close second. Any way to change to color of the route on the screen, sometimes yellow and mustard are a little close on the color spectrum when going 70 mph.

Thanks,

EJ
Go to Nav settings and uncheck the box where all POIs show on the map. That will increase quite a bit the name of the roads that are nearby you plus set the scale on the second 1/16th or first 1/32 step (each scale step has 2 levels).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Additionally, you will get more street names in 2D mode as the area shown is greater per zoom. The issue I have discovered is that the street names are displayed at fixed positions instead of floating along the streets.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, those 2 suggestions would never have occurred to me. Thank you both so much. Clearly I was being too literal when looking for answers. And as I now realize, should have been looking at it with the mind of a computer and how much data can be transmitted at one time.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Additionally, you will get more street names in 2D mode as the area shown is greater per zoom. The issue I have discovered is that the street names are displayed at fixed positions instead of floating along the streets.
Good catch on the fixed positions there Mark...makes sense with what we have seen. Having just purchased another new vehicle with a Nav I can compare the two a bit. The Volvo is actually easier to enter stuff in via Voice (very important when driving), but of course loses on the street name display. The other car's Nav is slicker in some other areas, but I'm not sure I don't prefer the Volvo's.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Having just purchased another new vehicle with a Nav I can compare the two a bit. The Volvo is actually easier to enter stuff in via Voice (very important when driving), but of course loses on the street name display. The other car's Nav is slicker in some other areas, but I'm not sure I don't prefer the Volvo's.
If by other just new vehicle, you mean the chevy volt in your sig, OMG, that nav was terrible. Sure it had a "few" good spots, I do remember saying "nice" a few times but can't remember what to know, but I do remember overall was a huge disappointment for us. IMO, you're comparing and choosing between two of the worst systems on the market.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have made the changes suggested and there are indeed more street names. Still don't love the cumbersome-ness of the system but at least I have a little more info than before.

I told a friend the other day that I feel like I have gone from a Mac to a PC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts