SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been slowly fixing some small issues on my car, most recently a missing crank to A/C belt.... don't ask where it went. When digging around the engine bay I found this hose towards the back of the engine towards the fire wall. It was poking out towards the top of the engine. I tried to look at some engine bay picture and schematics but no luck so far. I am not sure if it should be plugged up or if it belongs somewhere. Here are some pictures. I will try and track it down, but I just know it goes down parallel to the timing belt towards the bottom of the engine. It also has a clip which I believe holds it in place. Any ideas, please let me know. I will continue to dig for more info. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Looks to me like a vacuum hose from the turbo solenoids.

Try looking up some engine pictures on google and you may be able to find it based on where it seems to be coming from.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
That is the control line from the intake manifold to the Compressor Bypass Valve (CBV). It normally is clipped to the head, under the front cam pulley cover, and it plugs onto a fitting at the front lower edge of the intake manifold, at the right side of your photo basically behind your hand, underneath and pointing down.

If disconnected, two bad things happen:
1) Manifold air is vented to and from the atmosphere, ruining the air/fuel mixture. I'm shocked you don't have a check-engine indication.
2) The car won't develop much boost, because positive pressure isn't being applied to the CBV. Normally, there is a feedback loop to hold it closed until you lift off the throttle. This hose implements that.

Hook it back up ASAP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys! I will look into this later today when I get home. I did have check engine light which went away after disconnecting the battery. I havent driven it in weeks and stay out of boost on my short commute to the train.

Also if anyone can take a picture when they get a chance of where it is supposed to be mounted would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Here's a shot of my replacement blue silicone one from my old TCV upgrade thread.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Disputer - I'll add it's very risky running with no cam cover like you are. You've already dodged a bullet when your serpentine belt came off. It only takes a small piece of debris to jump that timing belt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I am currently looking for a replacement, mine was either broken or damaged and will not sit flush. Thanks for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts