SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving around for a couple months in a gorgeous Black/Black 2007 S60 T5M. Love the car. Getting ready to sell it, but I'm trying to track down a strange whistling noise coming from what sounds like the engine area before I do.

Under "normal" (i.e., low rpm, granny shifting) driving, the noise manifests around 20MPH and gets louder with speed. It's loud enough to notice but not overpowering (i.e., a normal volume radio will drown it out). If you didn't know to listen for it, you probably would not even notice it. It sounds like a hissing sound. If the car is not driving at 20MPH or more, I can re-create the sound if I have the car in neutral and give it some gas to about 3,000 RPM.

My reaction is something related to the air intake system (or turbo). Maybe an airbox slightly out of alignment? Filter clogged up? Cabin filter? So far as I can tell, there are no leaks in the turbo lines, no CEL's, or other signs of a significant boost leak. The car pulls solid and does not stutter when you get into the boost. The car only has 103,000 miles on it. The PCV system is fine too (I did the glove test, it got sucked in and not puffed out).

The only other relevant piece of information I can add is that turning on/off the A/C does seem to have an effect on the pitch - but not volume - of what I'm hearing.

Anyone have any other ideas or places to check?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I second the above. Its the bearings wearing out, which is probably at least as bad as it sounds. You can get the whole darn thing from FCP or a dealer, or you can take your chances that one on RockAuto is the right one. I went to a local non-Nat'l chain parts store and found that the pulley they had was about what I could get it for from RockAuto after shipping.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I second the above. Its the bearings wearing out, which is probably at least as bad as it sounds. You can get the whole darn thing from FCP or a dealer, or you can take your chances that one on RockAuto is the right one. I went to a local non-Nat'l chain parts store and found that the pulley they had was about what I could get it for from RockAuto after shipping.
Interesting, in all the 5-cylinder Volvos I've had I've never heard a noise like this. It sounds like air blowing across the top of a bottle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Take off the serp belt and run the engine and listen.Don't drive it.Just listen and try to re-create the sound. this will isolate the tensioner pully bearing.While you have the belt off,spin the bearing by hand too.If it spins freely,it is shot.A good bearing has resistance to hand spinning it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts