SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn. Got a nail today. Good thing we have the tire and wheel package. But im not sure if this is repairable or needs a replacement

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
You're screwed, not nailed. :)

I bet that is reparable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol good point. I dont rlly know if i actually wajt it repaired or replaced. Is it a big difference in safety or naw?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
It's in the middle of the tread, should be totally repairable. Tell them you want a patch and not a plug.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lol good point. I dont rlly know if i actually wajt it repaired or replaced. Is it a big difference in safety or naw?
A well done tire repair for a hole like that is fine from a safety POV.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Easily repairable. Be aware though that some tire shops do not repair run flats. You might have to ask around for a shop that does it. At least that's been my experience with my BMW w/ run flats.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Easily repairable. Be aware though that some tire shops do not repair run flats. You might have to ask around for a shop that does it. At least that's been my experience with my BMW w/ run flats.
It is technically nearly impossible to repair must punctures on run flats, as by the time the driver notices, the side walls are invariably destroyed.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Not to be pedantic, but that looks like a bolt not a nail.;)
Actually it looks more like a phillips hex head self tapping screw. Irregardless, it is in his tire, lol. :) At least that is repairable.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is technically nearly impossible to repair must punctures on run flats, as by the time the driver notices, the side walls are invariably destroyed.
This has not been my experience as modern cars are equipped with tire pressure monitors (TPMS), which alert the driver of sudden decrease in tire pressure. I've had two flats on the BMW, got the alert both times and proceeded cautiously (about 50 mph) to the nearest shop. In the first case, I had to drive for 20 miles before finding a shop that was still open that late of night. In the 2nd, I drove about 10 miles before finding a shop that would fix the flat. Both times the flats were fixed with a patch. I was able to put another 25,000 miles on the tire from the 1st incident before replacing it due to low tread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts