SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm Dave, aka StormChaser on most other forums. I recently bought a 2006 V50 T5 6-spd with about 90k miles on the clock. I LOVE it! I've had her about a month now. But I have a couple of issues to work out:

1. So, a few days ago I get a CEL upon start up. Car seems completely normal, so I don't worry TOO much about it. Today I stop by Advanced Auto and let them do a scan (free). I had 2 codes, which they cleared. The CEL has not come back on, but the car has only been started 2x and driven about 2 miles since then, so I am not confident it's really gone. Can anyone look up the codes and let me know what to look for? Is it a common issue?

- P2187 - System too lean at Bank 1
- P0170 - Fuel Trim Bank 1

2. I have quite a bit of WATER coming out of the A/C vents. It is acting like the moisture in the air is condensing in the vents and getting blown out by the force of the blower. It's coming out of the dash vents in little drops, but the rear carpet, especially passenger side is SOAKED. Thoughts?

3. She has 90k miles on her and I have no records of what was done or skipped. What should I do sooner than later? Like timing belt?

4. Oil Change: She's due for a change, the maintenance reminder light came on. First, what's the recommended viscosity/weight and type of oil? Second, how to I reset the dash message?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
welcome dave

not sure about #1

but #2 is fairly common check here and here

#3 i changed mine at 110k, which is pushing it i think.

#4 i put full synthetic 5W-30 in mine every 2 or 3 months, dont really know how many miles in between exactly :p

but yeah, if there's one thing you should know about the folks here on SS is that we love pics ;)

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
The first code P2187 is ECM code 21CC and this will be either a bad 02 sensor or a leak in the intake system (between the meter and the cylinder head).
The second code P0170 is not recognized by Volvo for that car but I suspect it is a general code that will mean the same as the first. A general P0170 means system too lean bank one and is simply a byproduct of the first code. I would look for a vacuum leak first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all!!!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the code is actually P2187 - System too lean at IDLE Bank 1.

Also, I assume pure synthetic oil is recommended or required for oil changes? True or not? What weight for a stock T5? I DO plan on chipping/tuning it, but not immediately.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, it was indeed a clogged drain line for the AC! The elbow was totally clogged. It was a bit hard to remove, but still took less than 10 minutes to fix. Soaked up a ton of water from the right rear by putting down towels and standing on them. Also have removed the floor mats and will keep the windows down whenever there is little/no chance of rain and see how it is in a few days. CEL came back, got an appt at the dealer next week to get that looked at. Boo!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Man, I love the wagons. Luckily mine was garage kept most of its life, and continues to be. So no sunroof troubles...

I believe the manual states to use 5w30 most of the year, but in the summertime (especially this HOT summer) I run 10w30 since its more viscous and won't hurt the engine at all running a more viscous oil. Part of why most manufacturers recommend lighter weight oils is for fuel economy.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Check your upper PCV hose. The original hoses are corrugated plastic and crack due to the engine heat making them brittle. This will cause a CEL and is extremely common for these cars.

It's the hose that goes from the oil separator up to the cylinder head. The updated hose is rubber and gets replaced per extended warranty 205 if my memory serves me correctly. Would be the first thing I would check for a leak in the intake system.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I believe the manual states to use 5w30 most of the year, but in the summertime (especially this HOT summer) I run 10w30 since its more viscous and won't hurt the engine at all running a more viscous oil. Part of why most manufacturers recommend lighter weight oils is for fuel economy.
Hope that helps!
At operating temperatures, 10W30 has the same viscosity as 5W30. The number after the W indicates this. The number before the W indicates the viscosity of the fluid at cold temperatures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts