SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my gf's non-turbo 5spd for the week to do some jobs on it and just started it for the first time in 3 days. It cranked, stumbled, and sounded like it wasn't running on all 5 cylinders for about a minute. After revving it a few times, it smoothed out and finally idled nicely back on all 5 again.

It stunk like raw fuel pretty badly. The cap/rotor/plugs/wires have all been replaced in the last few years with OEM. It also burns 1.5 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. Could it be a valve stem seal slowly leaking oil down into the engine? Or something I haven't thought of yet? Might have to pull the plugs to get a read on them... Just curious if anyone has any other ideas as to what might be going on.

No codes prior to the incident or currently. (none pending either)

Oh, 242,000mi, and I've done the PCV, stem seals/Head gasket (the only two aftermarket parts I used :() and resealed the whole engine @ 218k.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

The cylinder 3 plug is covered in carbon. I was able to clean it up but I suppose this is the cylinder with the issue!

Compression was 150psi across all cylinders. Looking like it might be head related now.....

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace the plugs once a year.
I forgot to mention that the other spark plugs all look perfect, only the cylinder #3 plug looks terrible. Would burning oil cause the condition shown in the photo?

·
Registered
107 Posts
A quart and a half every 1,000 miles. If your not leaking it, then its getting consumed by the engine. I'd change the plugs, run a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron thru it to help clean things, and see how long it lasts. Maybe check that plug, and replace it at 6 months.
Make sure the cap, rotor and wires look ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts