SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This car was displayed back in March in Volvo's electric car portfolio for 2025. I'm suprised that media haven't taken it up as a rumor yet. So let's draw our own conclusions.

To me, this car still looks like a van and not like something like the Concept Recharge. The bonnet is much shorter, and the placement of the side mirrors also indicates a van.

Possibly, vans are a growing vehicle segment in the future, especially in combination with autonomous driving. For example, Tesla plans to build robotaxis, and in all the Hyperloop CGIs, there are Tesla vans with seating for something like 6 or 8 passengers. Meanwhile, Volkswagen has concrete plans for a six-seater ID.Buzz specifically targeting rideshare services (VW ID Buzz Getting Three Different Versions (motor1.com)). It's questionable if Volvo as a luxury car manufacturer would go in for autonomous vans, but who knows what they have in mind. The image above alone leaves much room for speculation.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into these graphics as more often than not they just have generic car shapes for a lineup rather than genuine silhouettes.

The nearest to a Volvo van is the LEVC VN5 which like the sister TX taxi is from a sister brand and uses a Volvo engine, Volvo electrical system, 90 series rear axle, S90 front seats and lots of switchgear from the 90s series cars too.

There's also Geely Commercial Vehicles using the same drivetrain as LEVC but in a small truck. GCV are also called Farizon

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Reactions: DFrantz

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

For me, these are really two different vehicle classes. There was also a XC90-sized SUV in that image, and the Concept Recharge has a hood of similar length. The rear end is very different, though:

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
I agree. Recharge is pretty flat along the back, vertically.

For me, these are really two different vehicle classes. There was also a XC90-sized SUV in that image, and the Concept Recharge has a hood of similar length. The rear end is very different, though:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
On rare occasion, concept cars will exaggerate lines or proportions that don't actually make it to production. (Yes, that was satire.)

And sometimes concept cars are derived from already-design-locked production versions. Look at XC90 SPA, 2013-14 concept cars, and all other SPA vehicles (designed in that order) - e.g. headlights, dashboards.

·
Registered
| S60 2.5T (2004)
8 Posts
View attachment 130858

This car was displayed back in March in Volvo's electric car portfolio for 2025. I'm suprised that media haven't taken it up as a rumor yet. So let's draw our own conclusions.

To me, this car still looks like a van and not like something like the Concept Recharge. The bonnet is much shorter, and the placement of the side mirrors also indicates a van.

Possibly, vans are a growing vehicle segment in the future, especially in combination with autonomous driving. For example, Tesla plans to build robotaxis, and in all the Hyperloop CGIs, there are Tesla vans with seating for something like 6 or 8 passengers. Meanwhile, Volkswagen has concrete plans for a six-seater ID.Buzz specifically targeting rideshare services (VW ID Buzz Getting Three Different Versions (motor1.com)). It's questionable if Volvo as a luxury car manufacturer would go in for autonomous vans, but who knows what they have in mind. The image above alone leaves much room for speculation.
There have been rumours that Volvo is planning to build a "Minivan" of sorts for the Chinese market. These would act as a luxury taxi from the airports, etc. Weird in my opinion, that Volvo would build a minivan, but still plausable. Furthermore, Volvo also explored if building a pickup truck would be profitable but they took note from Mercedes losses and scratched that idea.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
There have been rumours that Volvo is planning to build a "Minivan" of sorts for the Chinese market. These would act as a luxury taxi from the airports, etc. Weird in my opinion, that Volvo would build a minivan, but still plausible.
True, in some Asian markets, luxury vans are very popular. I remember that Lexus dealers urged Lexus to build a minivan based on the Toyota Alphard because it would sell like hot cakes
I think the first - but maybe only the first - premium brand that launches a minivan in NA would do quite well with it. Makes a statement, "you can see that I can buy whatever I want, but need the utility". I thought Acura was playing with the idea some years ago, but bailed. If a premium minivan landed in NA, that might be a wife-compromise that I could make...

Is Acura working on a premium minivan? (autoblog.com)

Minivans Are in Short Supply, Now Rarest Find on Car-Dealer Lots (businessinsider.com)

Reactions: alexsaa

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And which premium brand would be the perfect brand for a premium minivan if not Volvo? A lot of their branding goes towards family cars, which goes well with their attributes of safety and human centrity. A minivan would nail it, actually. Depending on how they design it, they could even play on their Scandinavian outdoor mind, another thing that they advertise a lot (also think Cross Country). A Volvo minivan could actually become the Volvo even if they have never done something like that before.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
They should build a small RV like size of Sprinter van. EV RV would be wonderful, and with an optional generator for long trip.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
A Volvo MPV / mini van is a well overdue product and the alignment of Volvo with family cars makes this a natural alignment for them. There was an MPV concept around the time of the first XC90s development. I recall an interview with the project leader who said they merged the two ideas and made the XC90 a 7 seater - at the time the first in its segment.

Then there was an MPV based on the P2 family. Drawings of it surfaced a few years ago in a designer's online portfolio.

Then the 3rd gen V70 was almost a "tall roof" as Volvo called it but Ford put end to that with the risk of competition with the Galaxy and SMax models. (Ford moved a number of Volvo engineers to Cologne to help design the bodyshell of the Galaxy - I know from from the safety centre who were moved there too). So the Galaxy is a strongly Volvo designed bodyshell for Ford's MPV.

So Volvo has certainly reviewed this market before.

On sales stats in the EU, MPVs is a falling segment and SUVs are growing but mostly as they take over from everything as the "family car". MPVs have better access than SUVs to 3rd row of seats etc, more space for 3rd row etc so I'd like to see Volvo make one. As above, it certainly fits with Volvo's image.

·
Registered
535 Posts
MPV’s is a shrinking segment and was never premium in the first place. Nobody is willing to pay a Volvo price for an MPV.

Håkan made some years ago clear what the strategy is: higher volume and higher margin. That’s why they left the V40 segment (margin issue) and the coupe/cabrio (no volume).

The unknown concept has to bring that :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
On the margin front they are launching an XC20 using the Geely-Volvo SEA platform (which Lotus and Smart will use too). So a similar approach to SEA or CMA which is shared by many other vehicles (or even more) will improve margins for the next 40 series

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't know if this really is a van. Mercedes EQ line is going to expand with a van and maybe a minivan (EQT and. So, that will get more buzz than if Volvo made one. The idea of a minivan isn't great due to perception, not reality as minivans are very efficient. So, if Volvo makes a minivan they likely won't market it as a minivan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts