SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i was driving home from work yesterday, i accelerated from a red light and went over a bump in the road. as i went over, i heard an audible pop/bang from my left rear tire area. it felt like something was off, so i went out later that night to try and feel what was wrong. i figured out that every time i accelerate quickly in 1st gear, my rear end, and especially the left rear, feels like it's losing traction. i can feel the same thing when i accelerate quickly in 2nd gear too, but it's not nearly as noticeable. i'm not getting the warning light that indicates a loss of traction, so i'm kind of at a loss as to what's going on. i know someone out there must know what's up...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the parking brake exploding would cause my car to lose traction when accelerating quickly in 1st or 2nd gear? the parking brake still works normally right now; is this possible if it were damaged? thanks for the help

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
I don't know what would cause your rear tires to lose traction - bad/underinflated tires?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you still getting drive to all four wheels? Collar gear perhaps? I had a loud bang when mine went.

It definitely feels like i'm getting power to my rear wheels, it just seems like the left rear wheel can't get any traction. if it is the collar gear, would there be any other noticeable changes that i could look for?

keep in mind that it only happens when accelerating quickly at low speeds; it's not really noticeable above 25-30 mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the car pulling to one side or the other when you go from a stop?
YES, the car definitely pulls to the right when accelerating quickly from a stop. so i take it that my collar gear is done? any idea how much it will cost to fix (i don't have the know-how or tools to fix it myself)? is this something that i should fix ASAP or can i drive on it without creating any further issues?

thanks a bunch for your help shift

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
From what you are describing, I would very much lean towards a problem with the angle gear. I'm not sure how much it'll cost to get it done. I had to replace my transmission as well when my awd went out on me, but that seems to be very rare. You will most likely just have to replace your collar gear. Fix it asap, but it should be ok driving on it. Someone else may have more info driving on it and creating more issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts