SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - from the pictures, can anyone shed some possible light as to what this leak might be? It's not coolant; too thin to be oil; not red enough to be transmission fluid.. Power steering fluid? Angle gear? Location is center right, rear of the engine. Noticing no performance issue - yet..

[2006 SR, GT - 122K]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Picture is broken for me

2007 V70R Ti Grey Nordkap GT, 2008 C30R-Design Black M66

·
Registered
161 Posts
While I am not sure of the placement or if the location of your Angle Gear, I can tell you that the color may look something like urine and it will eventually make the AWD engagement very rough, leading one to research removing a driveshaft this making their car FWD.... Could wreck your AWD. Potentially.

Not saying that is what is going on or if it's as simple as refilling an Angle Gear with fluid but if you don't know what the fluid is then it may be something you didn't suspect, at least you know an Angle Gear has fluid in it...

Update? Car not driving smooth? Found the source? Did anything happen you even suspect a ruptured angle gear?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply. No noticable performance issues even after these pictures were taken. The fluid has no oder and seems very thin. Going to the shop this morning to put it up on a lift for a better look. Will update as I go.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
Looks like power steering fluid, check level. Could be steering rack seal or line. Recently, I had to replace a line after ac compressor pulley rubbed through the rubber part of the line. It's held to subframe by a crappy clip right under ac compressor. If that clip breaks or pops, the line can get in contact with pulley.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Definitely looks to be Power Steering Fluid.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Check your brake fluid reservoir level. I wouldn't expect a strut to leak that much fluid all at once.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. That's what I've been thinking too. At the time I noticed that leak (pictures), I did check power steering and break fluid reservoir levels and they were good. I'll check again soon and update.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Checked brake and power steering levels - all good (pics attached - as well as the latest leakage)..

·
Registered
861 Posts
well, turn it on, have someone lay down and look up in that area or record, and have another person apply a lot of pressure to the brake pedal. See if it pisses.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good idea. I'll give it I shot. Question though- after having lost that much fluid, wouldn't I have gotten a warning light or weird play when braking by now?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well you sir have an exploded strut. Rare sight to see in that fashion. Also odd that the original strut has a monroe sticker.. i say original because it still has the benteller sticker on it and its only 122k. Has the car ever been wrecked?

I also claim it is the strut because - the engine in view is dry, the drive shaft is dry, everthing in front of the strut is dry, the fluid starts from the strut and runs down the side of the inner fender wall, hits the tie rod arm but the shaft boot is dry. Only 1 place.. all other fluids check out.

Strut fluid is like mineral oil and similar to what your describing.. just plain cant be anything else at this point. Do it and do it right. New 4c all around is due at 120k anyway!

Yes seem like a lot of fluid i agree, but unless this is a joke all signs point to it. Thin fluid can spread out farther.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, when we put it up on the lift, we noticed some "irregularities" (Monroe sticker being one of them) - the other being the wires to the 4c strut sensors we're not connected, in fact they were cut, pulled back, and tucked away (the other side was still connected, however). Which may indicate that particular strut was replaced with a non 4c at one point. But we couldn't figure out why I never got any indicator/error messages with the electronics being messed with the way they were.. As far as I know, the car has never been in an accident (clean title/Carfax etc)..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate it greatly. Well, I got a second opinion and they've also said it's a busted strut (and now that it's been about a week since I noticed the leak, the car's handling is starting to get wanky; vibrations, harder hits, etc). I will be replacing the front struts. Question though: seeing as how the damaged strut's 4c wiring was cut away from the sensors - but the other remains connected (I think), and I haven't gotten any chassis error messages, I'm almost inclined to think that some sort of system bypass may have occurred or has been rigged; that maybe, just maybe, some sort of '4c delete' may have been performed. If that's the case, should I continue with the 'delete' and replace the strut assemblies with conventional replacements (and if so, what brands? Rockauto offers up Monroe, Sachs, Gabriel, and Bilstein [B4] in their "original ride quality" section)). I know 4c is part of what defines these cars and I may get burned for my blasphemy, but at the same time, and until the busted strut, I've been good with the ride quality - what I would probably akin to 'sport mode.' Any thoughts? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If the 4C wiring was not connected, check for evidence of something plugged into the harness connector which would have mated to the strut. There ought to be something there faking the system or else you'd see an error message in VIDA. I haven't heard of any software hacks to completely disable 4C.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When it was up on the lift and we noticed the strut sensor had been disconnected, we did look for evidence that they were 'plugged into something' (i.e. resister etc) but just found the cut wires pulled back out of the way. Weird, I know..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: well, I've gone with the Bilsteins (B4/TC) - for now; eying coil covers for maybe the future. Not going to lie, but I don't mind the Bilsteins, really. Good ride - firm, stable, with no real loss of any kind of handling/performance. They've been on for just over a week now. Still no error messages due to 4c deletion.. Thanks all for your input!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts