SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Last night when I pulled into the drive, I noticed a small spot on the drive where my SR gets parked... (I immediately thought my mother-in-law pulled her old Tempo in there... but no)

I crawled underneath today, and I have a small leak coming off the angle gear. What is weird about it is that I can't figure out where on the lower housing it's leaking from? It is about 1/4 oz of fluid on the ground, and another 1/4 oz on the angle gear housing and the frame rail immediately aft of it. It is definitely heavy fluid leaking (smells original, no metal that I could feel in it or see in it, but still)

The drain plug area is dry. There are no visible cracks or anything that is showing that it's puking fluid. Are these castings susceptible to porosity leaks? It seems very flaky aluminum to my eye.

Any other ideas of where it might be dripping from above to get there that wouldn't show from a cursory underside look (no mirrors or lights, just Mk1 eyeballs on the scene so far) Any suggestions on where else to look?

I'm going to top it off, so I don't shred anything...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
293 Posts
Angle gear assemblies tend to weep from the seal that mates the two halves of the gear assembly.

Good news is that with 1/4 oz. of fluid it could be fairly minor.

I cleaned my angle gear externally, siphoned out the fluid, refilled with clean fluid and have had no further problems.

If it still leaks you may have to remove and separate the angle gear. then you file a camfer in the two halves, reseal and re-install.
You may want to have this done for you, as doing it can be a real PIA.

Andres

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am so blind sometimes... it isn't coming from the angle gear, it's further left... the tranny bottom end... again, not coming from any visible seal. This is on an automatic, btw.

IF it were the angle gear, I have the tools to do that... automatic trannies, not so much... ugh. This has not been the great end to an already great day... sorry I lead anyone down the wrong path...

I did clean it off with degreaser, and am going to keep a close eye on where it is losing it from. It must be auto tranny fluid, but it is very heavy for that. Again, ugh.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I am so blind sometimes... it isn't coming from the angle gear, it's further left... the tranny bottom end... again, not coming from any visible seal. This is on an automatic, btw.

IF it were the angle gear, I have the tools to do that... automatic trannies, not so much... ugh. This has not been the great end to an already great day... sorry I lead anyone down the wrong path...

I did clean it off with degreaser, and am going to keep a close eye on where it is losing it from. It must be auto tranny fluid, but it is very heavy for that. Again, ugh.
Mine was the same way and it was the angle gear; unfortunately the gears in mine were chewed up and I need a new one.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the fill tube on the angle gear, it's clean and where it ought to be. It is a different fluid, too.

So, that again leads me to think auto trans fluid. I will just have to keep an eye on it over the next day or 3 and hope to catch where it is actually leaking from. The car is shifting too positively (both up and down) for it to be too big an issue, but it might be a bad case... in which case Volvo and I are going to have a little chat... it's not leaking at any bolt hole or drain port or seal... it's just on the bottom of the case. Where the heck is the level port and fill ports on this silly thing? Anyone got a link to some good pix? I can find the drain plug on it, but I haven't found any posts describing it or (better) pix of where they are...

What a lovely day...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not angle gear, bolt that holds angle gear onto the transmission. After cleaning, and digging down and finding the transmission dipstick (whoever put it there needs to be shot!) I started the car and let it run for a few minutes in neutral. Sure enough, it started to leak just a tiny bit. BTW, with it up in the air (10-15 angle) the dipstick when cold and not running read well above the hot line... too much fluid, perhaps?

Anyway, here's the picture of which bolt it is leaking out of, any suggestions on how to reseal this? It doesn't appear to have a gasket or anything, but it is one that holds the angle gear to the output of the transmission.

And just so you all can see the fun (if you haven't experienced it for yourselves, I give you: the trans dipstick.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, since I put a picture up of where it is leaking, I have a question: Is there a gasket or o-ring in there? Or would it be best to use some Permatex 2 or the like on the bolt and reinstall? I don't want to use silicone RTV there (I am not a fan of having little buggers of rtv floating in my transmission... rtv and atf tend to mix just enough to cause severe issues, from memory) Anyone have any ideas?

Or if there is a link regarding this, point me in a direction... I spent an hour last night looking over various stuff, trying to find out about this... am I missing it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts